IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
BhaktaMark

Financial Dealings

Rate this topic

Haribol ,

Can anyone give me some enlightenment about what one should and should not do about with ones money when they are a devotee (or in my case trying to be one) please?

I have noticed that many banks are now offering sharia compliant financial services for muslims so that they do not break any Islamic laws in their financial dealings ie they do not allow usery - gaining interest on their money, although making profit is ok, and no investment is allowed in alcohol, gambling etc

What rules should Hare Krishna devotees follow in regard to money ?

I have a ordinary bank account, savings accounts and investments. I guess this means some of my money is being invested in things we do not approve of. Even 'ethical' investments probably still invest in companies that deal in meat trade, alcohol, gambling, etc, although avoiding things such as the arms trade.

Is it ok to make to obtain interest on savings ? Muslims obviously do not think so.

My long term investment policies were started before I became interested in KC, and I cannot change them easily, if at all.

Perhaps the Hare Krishnas/ISKCON should set up their own financial institution for devotees to put their money in?

Should I not worry as Lord Krishna says he will protect his devotees ?

Hare Krishna and all glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Mark

I wouldn't worry about banks and banking :) Just do what you need to.

And of course, gaining interest is fine, it's Krishna's money and so long as it's used in Krishna's service then the more the better.

The scriptures say- "Don't store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from theives. Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be." - Jesus (Mathew 6.19)

Jesus made it clear that living for personal gain will only lead to great anxiety. Materialism and anxiety are two enemies of spiritual growth. We need to realize that the essence of life is not found in the possessions of things and that worry about the future is never helpful. By ourselves we have little power to change the future, so we must trust God to take care of us. And God does promise to provide for our needs, for he loves us and gives his children good gifts. Therefore, those who learn to trust God have no need to worry.

Haribol,

Many thanks for your responses. I hope I don't sound too money minded.

I just like to check out how one should be living, in case I'm committing any major errors that I could avoid. Living entities in the material world are bound to commit mistakes due to their imperfect nature, but one should try to avoid making too many by asking for good advice.

I don't go in for speculation on the money markets as making money just for the sake of it holds no interest for me, and the more material things you have the more bother you have. I just have investments that are required to cover the mortgage on my home and some small savings for the future.

I would prefer to be working for God full time but one still has to pay bills! In the householder state of life with a family one is bothered by so many things, but when you are in this position you have to be responsible for what Krishna has given you to look after, and must not act whimsically.

My real wealth is the happiness I have found in spiritual dealings with devotees and God, reading scriptures and chanting. Most of my thoughts revolve around this now.

Thank you for you comments Evan, I whole-heartedly agree. I do need to worry less about material things, as well as the future, and trust in God totally, and many thanks to Jayalalitadd for your message. I have not made enough posts to be able to reply directly yet.

Hare Krishna

Mark

Haribol ,

Can anyone give me some enlightenment about what one should and should not do about with ones money when they are a devotee (or in my case trying to be one) please?

I have noticed that many banks are now offering sharia compliant financial services for muslims so that they do not break any Islamic laws in their financial dealings ie they do not allow usery - gaining interest on their money, although making profit is ok, and no investment is allowed in alcohol, gambling etc

What rules should Hare Krishna devotees follow in regard to money ?

I have a ordinary bank account, savings accounts and investments. I guess this means some of my money is being invested in things we do not approve of. Even 'ethical' investments probably still invest in companies that deal in meat trade, alcohol, gambling, etc, although avoiding things such as the arms trade.

Is it ok to make to obtain interest on savings ? Muslims obviously do not think so.

My long term investment policies were started before I became interested in KC, and I cannot change them easily, if at all.

Perhaps the Hare Krishnas/ISKCON should set up their own financial institution for devotees to put their money in?

Should I not worry as Lord Krishna says he will protect his devotees ?

Hare Krishna and all glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Mark

Interesting point you're bringing up here. Your query made me realize my being in debt with the bank is actually quite fortunate. That way I'm sure my money isn't used for goals that might go against the regulative principles! :D

Haribol!