IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

When chanting

Rate this topic

Am I supposed to be doing something? Like meditate or focus on Krishnas love or what? Do I just simply say to myself "Hare Kirshna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare" ??

Jay Shree Krishna,

I focus on the words... when you start saying the mantra, just listen carefully to each word you say... i also think about Lord krishna's past times and laugh sometimes...in my home temple we have a big framed picture which has lots of little pictures of Lord Krishna whom appears to be stealing makhan or holding the govindam mountain on his finger or killing kansa...that picture actually came from a calendar...Lord Krishna looks soooooo adorable...why dont you put a picture of lord krishna infront of you while chanting and just look at him, admire him while chanting if you cant think of any of his past times...

Krsna says in the Gita

From wherever the mind wanders due to its flickering and unsteady nature, one must certainly withdraw it and bring it back under the control of the self. BG 6.26

When the mind wanders away from hearing the mantra we are to just bring it back to hearing the mantra. I find it helpful and inspiring to play the CD of Srila Prabhupada chanting japa on his beads in a room full of students doing the same thing.

Guest guest

Srila Prabhupada said that one should always meditate on the form of Lord Krishna as he chants.

He said that the form of the Lord should always be in the mind when chanting.

Therefore, chanting in front of the deity is a very good process.

as much as possible, go to the temple in the morning and chant rounds during the viewing of the deities.