IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Nrsinghadev

Concerning Subadra

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna,

It occured to me that I know next to nothing about Krishna's sister Subadra. I find this quite regrettable. The Ratha Yatra festival 'season' is drawing nearer and it would be nice to have some background story on Her. So if anyone has some knowledge on this subject, please feel free to share it here in this topic. Copy/paste actions, quotes from lectures or one's own insights would all be appreciated. Thank you,

Haribol!

Hare Krsna,

You're right. I haven't heard much about Her pastimes either. The little I know is from the Mahabharat.

After hearing of her beauty the pandava Arjuna fell in love with her, and after hearing of Arjuna's glories she also fell in love with him. When Arjuna was on a tirta-yatra he stayed in Dwarka for the rainy season. Krsna advised him to disguise himself as a sadhu. Arjuna was then placed under the care of Lady Subhara where their love for each other grew. At the end of the rainy season Lord Balaram was planning on arranging her marriage to Duryodhana? however on Lord Krsna's advice and help Arjuna decided to Kidnap her. While Lady Subhadra was leaving a temple Arjuna came to her in Krsna's own chariot and took her away. Lord Balaram was furious and set out to do battle with Arjuna. Lady Subhadra, herself, put on armor and took the reins of Arjuna's chariot. She is known to be well versed in the use of all weapons and expert at driving a chariot. Lord Krsna pacified Balaram and the Yadus all set out to Indraprasta to celebrate the wedding of Arjuna and Subhadra in style.

Before the wedding, however, Arjuna was afraid that Draupadi would be angry so he told Lady Subhadra to dress as a cowherd girl and meet with Draupadi. Sri Draupadi was charmed by Lady Subhadra's sweet nature and teased Arjuna, saying she could completely understand how he had come under her spell, thus she gave Arjuna leave to marry the Lovely Lady Subhadra.

Just a little nectar!

Guest guest

but wasn´t subadra arjun´s cousin ??

if yes, how was he allowed to marry her ?

Yes, Lady Subhadra and Arjuna were cousins. I guess it was a practice that was not as frowned upon as it is in today's society. Actually, even in the western world, all the way up through the early 20th, century marrying a cousin wasn't much of a big deal.

Now that I think on it, Arjuna was technically Lord Indra's son with Kunti devi, so they were distant cousins at best. :)

Hi all,

Just a curiousity ...Deapite married to draupadi how could Arjuna tie knot with

subadhra and there are also other examples can be taken from puranas.But how can it be justified.as we are all being a krishna devotees we are forbidden to have such

kind of relation ships.Could you please throw light on this!!!:pray:

Hare Krsna,

Though my knowledge is very small, this is what I have understood about having more than one wife:

It was common practice as described in the Mahabharata and Srimad Bhagavatam for kings to have more than one wife. Lord Krsna himself had 16,108 wives. I have run across this question before. Why is it not recommended in this day and age? What I have been able to grasp, most basically, is that it is not for kali-yuga. Just consider the differences when Lord Krsna himself walked the earth with His pure devotee and friend Arjuna. The life span was greater and the people in general were more religious. Each of Krsna's wives was taken care of beautifully. She even had her own palace. There was more respect for women and they were protected and honored.

In today's society, children are not even safe. They are abused and raped as are women and even men. The divorce rate in America is over 50% as it is. Can you just imagine the chaos that would come from more than 1 wife!! God's! what a nightmare it would be!! Until there is a masive return to a GOd conscious society I don't see it happening and don't think it should.

Those were different times with a different society. Many things that were appropriate then are not acceptable now, nor should they be. We cannot go into the forest for thousands of years and subsist on nothing but air, performing tapas. We do not have the power to perform the raja-suya yajna or other ancient fire yajnas properly. Some things, I think, are better left in the past. The common practice of more than one wife is one. Keeping one wife happy in marriage seems a difficult enough task as it is. WE don't have Lord Krsna's ability to expand ourselves and in that way be with each wife at the same time, therefore not neglecting the others.:)

I hope this helps to answer your question.

As you have stated Lord Krishna having 16,108 wives ,Please dont compare

his Pastimes as ordinary humanbeing ,once you reach a higher level of Krishna Consciousness you will be able to understand.During the War when Karna used an "Astra" which noone one could defend other than krishna, the pecularity of that weapon was only with person who had remained brahmchari could do it.Krishna defended it ....

Thus one must understand Lord Krishnas love was pure and unconditional...

You were talking about the people in general were more religious,

ya agreed ,but there was also people with deamonic nature with powers much greater than of today.And if I ask a question if draupadi had married someone else then would that have been justified???

Iam not trying to establish that we can have a extramarital relationship...

and do whatever we like.As this a discussion forum i thought someone would give conclusive answer.Anyway thanks for that reply atleast to

some extent you were able to clarify things:pray:

Hare Krsna,

I feel that you have misunderstood my statements. In no way was I comparing Lord Krsna to an ordinary human being. He is the ultimate example of greatness.

Your question was why having more than one wife was not recommended in this day and age.

I hope the following will clarify why I speak of Lord Krsna: I quote Srila Prabhupada,

"Krsna, when He was householder, He married sixteen thousand wives.

And who can maintain sixteen thousand wives? One cannot maintain even one wife. This is called urukrama. Great activities. Not that Krsna remained one, and He had sixteen thousand wives. No. He also expanded Himself into sixteen thousand forms so that no wife may be displeased. If I am one, and if I have got many wives, so everyone will be displeased. He provided sixteen thousand palaces, and in each palace, there were many thousands of servants and maidservants, and each wife was blessed with ten sons. This is called urukrama, great activities."

Because we are limited, simple human beings why should we dare think that just because Lord Krsna married more than one wife it is reccomended for us.

This is kali-yuga, the most fallen of ages, and we are all fallen in this material existence. It is dificult enough to satisfy one wife, in this age, what to speak of more than one. It is not reccomended for this age. I don't know how to be more conclusive than that.

Hare Krsna! Jai Srila Prabhupada!

I thank you Narayani, for your contribution to this thread thusfar. Come sunday, when I will hopefully be able to attend my first Ratha Yatra of this year, I will be able to do so with even more appreciation for Subadra besides her and Lord Jagannatha and Baladev's very cheerful and blissful appearances of course.

Haribol!

Hare Krsna!

Jai!! I'm glad you get a chance to go to a Ratha Yatra!! Your first one, WOW!! You are going to have a GREAT time!!

Ratha Yatra has always been one of my favorite festivals! Be sure you dance as much as you possibly can!! It's tradition with my friends and me to dance sooo much on Ratha Yatra that it hurts to walk the next day! Then you know you had a great time!!

I like to go to as many Raths as I can in a summer. I only was able to hit one this year: New York's.

If you would like, check out some of the pics I took at www.flickr.com

do a search for "New York Ratha Yatra 2006" my sreen name is "space angel."

Once again, Have a MARVELOUS time!