IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

please help me!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i know that i have asked this before, i think.. but still help me!

where in the scriptures, exactly where do it say that onion and mushrooms are not offerbul to Krsna? not what others have said now etc, but shastric quotes please

haribol!

Guest guest

Not all hindu sects avoid garlic and mushrooms. It depends on what your Gurus advise you on this matter. Other sects focus on different things than a strict sattvic diet.

See Garuda Purana.

All Vaishnava sects accept onion and garlic as unofferable, as do smarta sects. In fact practically no temple anywhere would even consider offering these things, regardless of what the deity is. The only exception would be small village temples that arent very strict, temples to bhutas, yakshas, etc.

I would mention tantrik temples (such as guruvayur), but all the tantrik temples I can think of do not offer these things either.

Generally there are three systems of temple worship, vaidika, pancaratra and tantra. None of these systems accept onion and garlic as offerable.

Radhe Krishna,

Yes, Onion and Garilic are a strict no. In all the vaidika sampradayaas of Smarta, Shrivaishnava and Maadhva, apart from onion and garlic other videshi vegetables like, potatoe, tomatoe, cabbage, cauliflower, carrot, beatroot etc., are also not used on occasions like puja, shradha.

A small correction. The three types of temple worship are Vaidika, Aagama, thaanthrika. All shri vaishnava temples come under either of paancharaathra or vaikanasha Aagamaas.

Radhe Krishna

Guest guest

thnaks for many answers, but there are still no quotes from the scriptures.. how do u know that onion and mushrooms are a nono? where are the quotes from scriptures to back this up? where does it say that Krsna dont whant this? no offence, i whant quotes or sumthing from scriptures.. no personal views

Guest guest

As I said, go and read the Garuda Purana. Don't expect people to do all the work for you.

i dont expect non to do anything for me, it was a simple question, no need to be rude.. ok now i know, i will get no help from here, ever.. its the same thing every time, i ask a question and people say things not from scriptures, and when i ask where it says where etc.. i get the answer like yours..

Guest guest

Govinda_Das,

After a person has offered you the Source Scriptural Text where you can find the answer you are looking for you translate that as not receiving ANY help?

Did you ever think that maybe they don't remember exactly where it is? And didn't have the time to scan the entire text for the exact quote?

Or maybe they don't own the book anymore, but remember reading it there and tried to HELP YOU by pointing you in the right direction?

Perhaps eating too many onions and mushrooms especially which are considered of the mode of TAMA Guna or ignorance, has clouded your ability to see a helping hand. You certainly have acted ungratefully. I hope you realize that.

Guest guest

Govinda_Das,

After a person has offered you the Source Scriptural Text where you can find the answer you are looking for you translate that as not receiving ANY help?

where is the quotes or anything copyed from a scripture here? can u see anything in this thread?

Did you ever think that maybe they don't remember exactly where it is? And didn't have the time to scan the entire text for the exact quote?

i can accept that people dont remember, but the thing is i have asked multible devoutees and they all say the same thing, one shouldnt but no where a quote or anything where Krsna aint wanna onion and so forth..

Perhaps eating too many onions and mushrooms especially which are considered of the mode of TAMA Guna or ignorance, has clouded your ability to see a helping hand. You certainly have acted ungratefully. I hope you realize that.

why do u think i eat onion or mushrooms, because i asked a question, dont be so ignorant and rude, no need for that.. how can i be ungratefull? because i asked a question and didnt feel that anyone saticfied me with an correct answer, only personal hearsayings from other people etc..

Govinda das,

Greetings. The real principle is that we accept Lord Krsna's statement in the Bg. regarding offering, Ch.9.26, and then follow the direction of the bona fide spiritual master, as to the details of how to apply Lord Krsna's instruction practically (see purport by HDGACBSP).

<CENTER></CENTER>

<CENTER>Chapter 9. The Most Confidential Knowledge</CENTER>

TEXT 26

patram puspam phalam toyam

yo me bhaktya prayacchati

tad aham bhakty-upahrtam

asnami prayatatmanah

SYNONYMS

bump.gifpatram--a leaf; puspam--a flower; phalam--a fruit; toyam--water; yah--whoever; me--unto Me; bhaktya--with devotion; prayacchati--offers; tat--that; aham--I; bhakti-upahrtam--offered in devotion; asnami--accept; prayata-atmanah--of one in pure consciousness.

TRANSLATION

bump.gifIf one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

PURPORT

bump.gifHere Lord Krsna, having established that He is the only enjoyer, the primeval Lord, and the real object of all sacrificial offerings, reveals what types of sacrifices He desires to be offered. If one wishes to engage in devotional service to the Supreme in order to be purified and reach the goal of life--the transcendental loving service of God--then he should find out what the Lord desires of him. One who loves Krsna will give Him whatever He wants, and he avoids offering anything which is undesirable or unasked for. Thus, meat, fish and eggs should not be offered to Krsna. If He desired such things as offerings, He would have said so. Instead He clearly requests that a leaf, fruit, flowers and water be given to Him, and He says of this offering, "I will accept it." Therefore, we should understand that He will not accept meat, fish and eggs. Vegetables, grains, fruits, milk and water are the proper foods for human beings and are prescribed by Lord Krsna Himself. Whatever else we eat cannot be offered to Him, since He will not accept it. Thus we cannot be acting on the level of loving devotion if we offer such foods.

bump.gifIn the Third Chapter, verse thirteen, Sri Krsna explains that only the remains of sacrifice are purified and fit for consumption by those who are seeking advancement in life and release from the clutches of the material entanglement. Those who do not make an offering of their food, He says in the same verse, are said to be eating only sin. In other words, their every mouthful is simply deepening their involvement in the complexities of material nature. But preparing nice, simple vegetable dishes, offering them before the picture or Deity of Lord Krsna and bowing down and praying for Him to accept such a humble offering, enable one to advance steadily in life, to purify the body, and to create fine brain tissues which will lead to clear thinking. Above all, the offering should be made with an attitude of love. Krsna has no need of food, since He already possesses everything that be, yet He will accept the offering of one who desires to please Him in that way. The important element, in preparation, in serving and in offering, is to act with love for Krsna.

bump.gifThe impersonalist philosophers, who wish to maintain that the Absolute Truth is without senses, cannot comprehend this verse of Bhagavad-gita. To them, it is either a metaphor or proof of the mundane character of Krsna, the speaker of the Gita. But, in actuality, Krsna, the Supreme Godhead, has senses, and it is stated that His senses are interchangeable; in other words, one sense can perform the function of any other. This is what it means to say that Krsna is absolute. Lacking senses, He could hardly be considered full in all opulences. In the Seventh Chapter, Krsna has explained that He impregnates the living entities into material nature. This is done by His looking upon material nature. And so in this instance, Krsna's hearing the devotee's words of love in offering foodstuffs is wholly identical with His eating and actually tasting. This point should be emphasized: because of His absolute position, His hearing is wholly identical with His eating and tasting. Only the devotee, who accepts Krsna as He describes Himself, without interpretation, can understand that the Supreme Absolute Truth can eat food and enjoy it.

Bg. 9.26

HDGACBSP

I understand that onions and garlic are not mentioned in this purport, and that is what you were specifically inquiring about. There is one story in the Puranas (not sure where exactly) that explains why we don't use them. I will try to repeat what I was told for you.

In previous yugas the brahmanas performed animal sacrifice by killing a cow and then later rejuvenating the body of the dead animal into a new calf, to illustrate the efficacy of Vedic mantras. One time the wife of one of the brahmanas involved in such a yajna was pregnant. She was told that if she ever experienced hunger pangs that it would aversely affect her unborn child. Seeing no other source of food immediately at hand, she mistakenly cut a portion of flesh,blood and bone from the sacrificial animal which was lying dead. She then realized it was foolish to consume flesh,blood and bone and discarded the portion of the dead cow she had taken. When the brahmanas assembled and chanted the vedic mantras to revive the dead animal they noticed that its stomach was not symmetrical, and that a portion of the original cow was missing. By the power of their mantras that portion also took life and was then assimilated by the earth planet where it was discarded by the brahmanas wife. The flesh became garlic, the bone onion (or vice versa, not certain) and the blood became carrots. Another version of the same story says that the brahmanas used onions, garlic and carrots to replace the missing portion of the original animal so they could complete the yagna. Anyway, Gaudiya Vaisnavas generally don't use any of these items in cooking an offering for Sri Krsna.

The principle of how to please the Supreme Lord is given in Bg. The practical application of how to follow that principle is taught by the example and more detailed instructions of the guru to his disciples. My siksa guru explained that onions contain 21 different kinds of poison. Onions and garlic are simply not in the mode of goodness, and therefore we don't use them.Asofateda (hing) is a suitable substitute. Most devotees avoid mushrooms because of how they are grown commercially and the fact that they are some kind of a fungus.

You wanted a quote from shastra, so keep this in mind. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura wrote:

"What are the Scriptures? They are nothing but the record by the pure devotees of the Divine Message appearing on the lips of the pure devotees. The Message conveyed by the devotees is the same in all ages. The words of the devotees are ever identical with the Scriptures. Any meaning of the Scriptures that belittles the function of the devotee who is the original communicant of the Divine Message contradicts its own claim to be heard."

If the spiritual masters in our guru parampara have instructed not to use

onions, garlic and other items in an offering to Lord Krsna then best we accept their words and have simple hearted faith that what they have said is as good as the sruti, smrti and pancharatra.

I hope that answers your question.

Guest guest

In previous yugas the brahmanas performed animal sacrifice by killing a cow and then later rejuvenating the body of the dead animal into a new calf, to illustrate the efficacy of Vedic mantras. One time the wife of one of the brahmanas involved in such a yajna was pregnant. She was told that if she ever experienced hunger pangs that it would aversely affect her unborn child. Seeing no other source of food immediately at hand, she mistakenly cut a portion of flesh,blood and bone from the sacrificial animal which was lying dead. She then realized it was foolish to consume flesh,blood and bone and discarded the portion of the dead cow she had taken. When the brahmanas assembled and chanted the vedic mantras to revive the dead animal they noticed that its stomach was not symmetrical, and that a portion of the original cow was missing. By the power of their mantras that portion also took life and was then assimilated by the earth planet where it was discarded by the brahmanas wife. The flesh became garlic, the bone onion (or vice versa, not certain) and the blood became carrots. Another version of the same story says that the brahmanas used onions, garlic and carrots to replace the missing portion of the original animal so they could complete the yagna. Anyway, Gaudiya Vaisnavas generally don't use any of these items in cooking an offering for Sri Krsna.

also not using carrots? why do the Hare Krsna center in sthlm use it in sum kishorys? this i then dont understand..

The principle of how to please the Supreme Lord is given in Bg. The practical application of how to follow that principle is taught by the example and more detailed instructions of the guru to his disciples. My siksa guru explained that onions contain 21 different kinds of poison. Onions and garlic are simply not in the mode of goodness, and therefore we don't use them.Asofateda (hing) is a suitable substitute. Most devotees avoid mushrooms because of how they are grown commercially and the fact that they are some kind of a fungus.

ok the onion part i now understand, but the garlic part i dont understand, in garlic are a natural antibiotic called accin (in swe anyways), and that is use in most antibiotics nowdays.. the sulpheric stuff in onions arent in the garlic.. if one (me) is sick or getting sick, i use this as medecine and i get well very fast.. the moshrooms, one cant offer quorn foodstuff then?

thank u for the good thread..

also not using carrots? why do the Hare Krsna center in sthlm use it in sum kishorys? this i then dont understand....

Because between different mathas, and missions the following of certain rules is not identical. For example during catur masya (four month rainy season), followers of Srila Bhakti Prajnan Kesava Maharja (founder acarya of the Gaudiya Vedanta Samhiti) do not take tomatoes, eggplants or urad dahl for all the four months. In some other Gaudiya Missions they don't observe a fast from tomatoes. The followers of SBPKGM (householders and brahmacaries and sannyasis) generally do not shave but once a month. In other Gaudiya Missions this rule is only followed by sannyasis. All depends on how the particular acarya of that mission chose to follow such details. Srila Prabhupada (HDGACBSP) never asked his disciples to not shave or not eat carrots and only gave simple restrictions for catur maysa for milk, spinach, yogurt and urah dahl in each of the four respective months. In other Gaudiya missions during the month when spinach is not taken they do not take ANY green leafy vegetables. They also don't eat broccoli, cauliflower and salad greens on ekadasi.

The real point is to follow the order of the guru and his particular example, whatever it may be. Srila Prabhupada explains :

In the purport to verse Cc. Adi lila 7.37, :

“ Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was an ideal acarya. An acarya is an ideal teacher who knows the purpose of the revealed scriptures, behaves exactly according to their injunctions and teaches his students to adopt these principles also. As an ideal acarya, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu devised ways to capture all kinds of atheists and materialists. Every acarya has a specific means of propagating his spiritual movement with the aim of bringing men to Krsna consciousness. Therefore, the method of one acarya may be different from that of another, but the ultimate goal is never neglected. Srila Rupa Gosvami recommends:

tasmat kenapy upayena

manah krsne nivesayet

sarve vidhi-nisedha syur

etayor eva kinkarah

An acarya should devise a means by which people may somehow or other come to Krsna consciousness. First they should become Krsna conscious, and all the prescribed rules and regulations may later gradually be introduced. In our Krsna consciousness movement we follow this policy of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu...”

“...It is the concern of the acarya to show mercy to the fallen souls. In this connection, desa-kala-patra (the place, the time and the object) should be taken into consideration...”

Cc. Adi lila 7.37-38

Srila Prabhupada writes in the Nectar of Devotion:

“Srila Rupa Gosvami states that his elder brother (Sanatana Gosvami) has compiled Hari-bhakti-vilasa for the guidance of the Vaisnavas and therein has mentioned many rules and regulations to be followed by the Vaisnavas. Some of them are very important and prominent, and Srila Rupa Gosvami will now mention these very important items for our benefit. The purport of this statement is that Srila Rupa Gosvami proposes to mention only basic principles, not details. For example, a basic principle is that one has to accept a spiritual master. Exactly how one follows the instructions of his spiritual master is considered a detail. For example, if one is following the instruction of his spiritual master and that instruction is different from the instructions of another spiritual master, this is called detailed information. But the basic principle of acceptance of a spiritual master is good everywhere, although the details may be different. Srila Rupa Gosvami does not wish to enter into details here, but wants to place before us only the principles...”

ok the onion part i now understand, but the garlic part i dont understand, in garlic are a natural antibiotic called accin (in swe anyways), and that is use in most antibiotics nowdays.. the sulpheric stuff in onions arent in the garlic.. if one (me) is sick or getting sick, i use this as medecine and i get well very fast.. the moshrooms, one cant offer quorn foodstuff then?

thank u for the good thread..

While garlic may be useful as a blood purifyer and/or medicine, it still doesn't make it suitable to offer to Sri Krsna or Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, or Sri Sri Gour Nitai, or any Vaisnava Deity, with love and devotion. Can't you smell how pungent it is when it is used in cooking? Our downstairs neighbors cook with both onions and garlic, and when they do I have to hold my nose as I climb the stairs past their flat. Regardless, spiritual life is most successfully executed under the anugatya (guidance) of a sad guru. Without his practical association and guidance we would not know what pleased the Supreme Lord, or what was best for us to do or not do to cultivate bhakti.

Another inter sampradaya example is that on ekadasi, Guadiya Vaisanavad dont' take grains of any kind. In the Sri Sampradaya they consider following ekadasi means not to eat long grain rice. They still use dahl and other grains in various forms and don't see it as any violation of a rule. Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura explained such differences in this essay:

http://bvml.org/SBTP/nsvd.htm

"The different activities practiced in the process of worship are called alocanagata. Examples of alocanagata are sacrifices, austerities, fire sacrifices, vows, studying scriptures, deity worship, constructing temples, respecting the purity of various trees and rivers, dressing like sannyasis, acting like acaryas, dressing like brahmacaris or grhasthas, closing one s eyes, respecting particular types of books, rules and regulations in eating, and respecting the purity of particular times and places. The examples of alocyagata are attributing personalism or impersonalism on the Supreme Lord, installing deities, exhibiting the mood of an incarnation of the Lord, speculating on heaven and hell, and describing the future destination of the soul. The different forms of these spiritual activities create divisions of sectarianism."

Guest guest

Hey Govinda_Das you are in luck,

“Mushrooms are generally not offered, but there is no prohibition, there is no harm in them.” (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. 1st December 1968., Letter to: Harer Nama Los Angeles.)

You were still ungrateful, but I forgive you for what it is worth, as you are an aspiring Vaisnava, and hey I am no saint either.

y.s.

Mark

Guest guest

Hey Govinda_Das you are in luck,

“Mushrooms are generally not offered, but there is no prohibition, there is no harm in them.” (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. 1st December 1968., Letter to: Harer Nama Los Angeles.)

You were still ungrateful, but I forgive you for what it is worth, as you are an aspiring Vaisnava, and hey I am no saint either.

y.s.

Mark

mushrooms.. one thing i was wondering, therefor i asked and maked this thread, mushrooms, jeast in bread, western bread, jeast is a sort of a mushroom, and i have seen diciple of prabhupada eaten that bread.. therefor i wondered about the mushrooms.. and if jeast can be offered, i thaught that quorn products can be offered.. onion i do not eat regally.. garlic only when im getting sick, asking Danvantrey to make it like medecine for me..

im also sorry for any offences id may maked unto u all.. i have a hot temper, always have.. thnX for the forgivness mark :)

Dandavats Puru prabhu,

Thankyou for all the valuable info. Regarding carrots, I asked a very close sisya of Srila Narayana Maharaja about this, and he told me that this referred to carrots grown in India, that those carrots are reddish and different from the orange-colored carrots grown in the West. He told me that it was okay to eat western grown carrots. Something similar to what Stonehearted prabhu was saying about cows; that the benefits attributed to milk in ayurveda actually apply to the milk of zebus, not the European cows such as Holsteins, Guernseys, Brown Swiss, etc. I was just wondering about your take on this.

Guest guest

to jndas..

ive got a kind of reading dissorder, so i cant read very much, therefor i ask others to help me..

mushrooms.. one thing i was wondering, therefor i asked and maked this thread, mushrooms, jeast in bread, western bread, jeast is a sort of a mushroom, and i have seen diciple of prabhupada eaten that bread.. therefor i wondered about the mushrooms.. and if jeast can be offered, i thaught that quorn products can be offered.. onion i do not eat regally.. garlic only when im getting sick, asking Danvantrey to make it like medecine for me..

im also sorry for any offences id may maked unto u all.. i have a hot temper, always have.. thnX for the forgivness mark :)

I think you mean "yeast" rather than "jeast"? Mushrooms and yeast have hardly anything in common except that they are both fungi. Mushrooms are multicellular like plants but yeast is more like bacteria, unicellular.

Also, Quorn is a no-no because it contains egg white - at least it does in the UK anyway.

Dandavats Puru prabhu,

Thankyou for all the valuable info. Regarding carrots, I asked a very close sisya of Srila Narayana Maharaja about this, and he told me that this referred to carrots grown in India, that those carrots are reddish and different from the orange-colored carrots grown in the West. He told me that it was okay to eat western grown carrots. Something similar to what Stonehearted prabhu was saying about cows; that the benefits attributed to milk in ayurveda actually apply to the milk of zebus, not the European cows such as Holsteins, Guernseys, Brown Swiss, etc. I was just wondering about your take on this.

Dandavat pranams to you Nimbo pani prabhu,

You are most welcome. FYI one time I prepared carrot pakoras for the Deities in Dallas,(Sri Sri Radha Kalachandji) and the head pujari then (mother Shelavati) told me that carrots were nice food for horses but not for the Deities. I didn't use them again in any preparations.

Personally I don't offer carrots of any kind, western or indian. Occasionally someone here juices a few up for a health tonic, but otherwise not.

Here is what SBVNM said about the matter:

"There are many items that are not allowed during Caturmasya, such as leafy vegetables on the first month, yogurt on the second month, milk on the third month, and mustard oil on the forth month. Besides this, throughout all four months, tomatoes, eggplants, and several other foodstuffs are prohibited. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to follow all these rules very strictly, but nowadays we see that devotees don't follow. Our Guru Maharaja and Srila Prabhupada Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura were very strong in this regard. Srila Prabhupada Sarasvati Thakura said, "Take my photo during the four months of Caturmasya-vrata to show that I never shave at that time. Always keep it; otherwise so many so-called disciples will say, 'Oh, Prabhupada never observed Caturmasya-vrata'."

Parama-pujyapada Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja gave concessions in the Western countries, and that is the only reason also used to shave. The Westerners could not follow strictly at that time. That is why he allowed tomatoes and eggplant, and that is also why he used to take them. And that is why he also allowed carrots. I am therefore also giving concessions, not here in India, but in Western countries. If the devotees there like, they can take these items, but we don't take them. We should strictly follow our proper line from Mahaprabhu to Srila Prabhupada Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami Thakura and my diksa and siksa-gurus. In Western countries some concession should be given, but here in India we are very strict. If we cannot follow this, then how can we follow Krsna, and how can we serve Radha and Krsna? Mahaprabhu shaved – after two months – and we follow this. . . "

from

http://www.purebhakti.com/lectures/lecture20040928.shtml

I've made carrot pakoras once or twice (at home) and they were pretty yukky, 3rd class, compared to other veggies such as cauliflower and broccoli. I can see why that head pujari would consider it horse food. I had a similar experience once where my Temple President chastised me for preparing an offering with a fairly common garden vegetable (can't remember what it was, turnips maybe) and said it was "horse food." I actually can't think of too many uses for carrots. I sometimes use them in split pea soup or kichari, although even then, it's 2nd class at best. I was mainly thinking along the lines of using them for juicing, as a health tonic. Anyway, that is nice to hear that our Acaryas have granted this concession for westerners. In the Dhama, naturally one would need to be more strict, especially on Ekadasis and during the months of Caturmasya. Thankyou again for your pakka feedback on these matters.