IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Hindus need to spread Hinduism more....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I know we're not a missionary religion but I think Hindus need to start spreading (not enforcing) Hinduism throughout the world. Although many have already converted to Hinduism throughout the world, I still find that many many people are not aware of the divine teachings and wisdom of Hinduism. In addition, many people who are interested in Hinduism at first glance think Hinduism is only for Indians or one has to be a certain caste to be Hindu, thus they turn away. These are huge misconceptions. Hinduism is universal and anyone can follow it regardless of caste, color, sexual orientation etc... Anyone can attain enlightment through Hinduism. Also, many people think you have to become a vegetarian to become Hindu. Althuogh it is true that one should avoid meat if they would like to follow a more spiritual path, it is not a requirement as anyone can be Hindu. Even Lord Krishna made it clear in the Gita that anyone can love him and everyone deserves his love, no matter what.

I would also like to point out that sometimes people think converting to Buddhism, Jainism or Sikhism is the same thing as converting to Hinduism. This is NOT true as the teachings of Hinduism differ from all these religions. Even Buddhism and Sikhism and Jainism differ from each other so much so there are differences in all of these religions. My whole point is that people are not aware of what the Hindu Gods and Goddess's have done for us, they don't know about the Upanishads, Ramayana. They just think that Hindus are like Buddhists, that we're open mided and we like to do yoga. They are simply not aware.

So I urge more Hindus to please spread Hindu awareness. This is the one thing I admire about ISKON, is that they do spread awareness the Krishna's

teachings.

Remember, Buddhism also doesn't believe is conversion but Buddhism spread rapidly throughout Asia BECAUSE of Buddhist missionaries. Hindus never bothered to spread Hinduism until now. And even though there are Swami's who are travelling and spreading Hinduism, I feel it is simply not enough. Hinduism has the potential to reach out to millions just like Buddhism has since both religions are extremely open minded about modes of worship and are more about experience rather than condemning other peoples practices.I always imagined if this whole world were to follow Hinduism (without caste) or Buddhism, this world would be an awesome and loving place.

Guest guest

Dear Hindu Girl,

I agree with you 100%. There are millions of people in the west (US, Canada, South America, Europe), who are interested in eastern religions. They believe in reincarnation; they are interested in meditation, ayurveda, yoga, etc. These people are very hungry for Hindu wisdom teachings, but many of them have not heard the full teachings.

Now there have been many Gurus who have come west (starting with Swami Vivekananda) and spread knowledge of Hinduism and now have devotees seeking enlightenment thru their teachings. But what needs to be done even more, is for individual western converts (and indians) to share the teachings and great wisdom of the Sanatana Dharma with those who are interested. Not in the 'convert or else' method of the Christians, but in dialogue with those who are interested and to help those who could seriously benefit from the teachings.

One thing that I do is utilize the internet forums to spread knowledge of Hinduism throughout the world. I go to forums where there is interfaith dialogue, and share Hinduism on these forums. Most of these forums, have tons of Christians, Muslims, and other eastern traditions like buddhism represented, but only a few Hindus. So it can seem like I am just a mouse peeping among a bunch of loud animals, but still I try, and always hope more Hindus will come to interfaith forums.

There need to be more Hindus who can intelligiently represent their faith in the world, and share the teachings with hungry seekers. Both online and offline. This is the year 2006, and we live in a Global Community. We need to make our presence known in the Global Community, for the benefit of the whole world. The world can only benefit from the Sanatana Dharma and it's universal teachings. Hinduism is the greatest religion in the world, it is the third largest in fact, yet it is still one of the most misunderstood in the global community. This must be changed.

its so true, i dont really see Hindus spread the world at all.

being a young teenager in my community i see all the time, most of the people my own age do not no much at all about our own faith!! they know some about diwali and holi, and like thats it.

first off we need to educate ourselves, and only when we fully understand ourselves can we even preach to others.

i see how different we are from for example muslims. i mean in my college (im in london btw), all the muslim kids usually might be discussing about religion amongst themselves, and have a strong presence, they dont deny their roots at all. i get the feeling a lot of us are kinda shy about Sanatan Dharma

Guest guest

Dear Hindu Girl,

I agree with you 100%. There are millions of people in the west (US, Canada, South America, Europe), who are interested in eastern religions. They believe in reincarnation; they are interested in meditation, ayurveda, yoga, etc. These people are very hungry for Hindu wisdom teachings, but many of them have not heard the full teachings.

Now there have been many Gurus who have come west (starting with Swami Vivekananda) and spread knowledge of Hinduism and now have devotees seeking enlightenment thru their teachings. But what needs to be done even more, is for individual western converts (and indians) to share the teachings and great wisdom of the Sanatana Dharma with those who are interested. Not in the 'convert or else' method of the Christians, but in dialogue with those who are interested and to help those who could seriously benefit from the teachings.

One thing that I do is utilize the internet forums to spread knowledge of Hinduism throughout the world. I go to forums where there is interfaith dialogue, and share Hinduism on these forums. Most of these forums, have tons of Christians, Muslims, and other eastern traditions like buddhism represented, but only a few Hindus. So it can seem like I am just a mouse peeping among a bunch of loud animals, but still I try, and always hope more Hindus will come to interfaith forums.

There need to be more Hindus who can intelligiently represent their faith in the world, and share the teachings with hungry seekers. Both online and offline. This is the year 2006, and we live in a Global Community. We need to make our presence known in the Global Community, for the benefit of the whole world. The world can only benefit from the Sanatana Dharma and it's universal teachings. Hinduism is the greatest religion in the world, it is the third largest in fact, yet it is still one of the most misunderstood in the global community. This must be changed.

Thank you for your response. I agree that Hindus should not become like Christian missionaries and enforce their beliefs. Christian missionaries are slick. They travel the world and they bribe the weak, hungry and unfortunate by first helping them and feeding them and then they hand them a bible and tell them that if they don't except Jesus Christ as their savior they will continue to be unfortunate and will be doomed to hell. Although initially they are doing something good for people by clothing and feeding the them, I believe they have their own agenda- and that is to get as many converts as they can. I think humanitarian efforts should be done to help people without anything in return and never to gain converts. That should be a persons own choice. So Hindus need not take this route to spread Hinduism. Rather Hindus should just simply spread awareness of Hinduism. There should be more Hindu temples and temple services for youths and adults to discuss the importance of Hindu scriptures and Hindus should def. get involved as a group in helping the community. Book distributions are always great. There should be more awareness in those communities and countries that know very little about Hinduism. Specifically in America, I have noticed that African American communities are not aware of Hinduism. Many have converted to Islam and Christianity seeking equality but if they were aware of Hinduism they would know what true equality is since Hinduism teaches that there is no black or white, no pretty or ugly, we are in material bodies and we will go through many bodies and many lifetimes so no sense in judging a person by their skin.

Further, Hindus need to start making the effort to clear up misconceptions about Hinduism. There are some lies circulating about is- we are castiest, some even say we are racist and some say we are primitive because we worship idols. Teach people that we are not woshipping idols, these statues have meaning behind them and the term idol worship comes from the Abrahamic faiths in order to destroy and kill nations of ancient cultures who all once lived peacefully. There is nothing greater then teaching tolerance through Hinduism.

Those Hindus living in different parts of the world should get Hindu scriptures translated into different languages and those who want to do Puja or become Pundits can do so in their very own languages. People can do darshan to the Gods and Goddess's in their own native language. It makes things a lot easier than having to learn Sanskrit. In addition, those who want to become Hindu should not be forced to stop eating meat to become Hindu. I noticed this to be a trend in ISKON, which is fine but whether one should eat meat is a hot debate among Hindus themselves and if a person wants to give up meat it will be for their own benefit but to tell them they cannot convert to Hinduism or follow Hindu scriptures or have faith in Hindus Gods or Goddess's because they eat meat is silly since many devout Hindus eat meat themselves. This should be up to the person and should not be an issue when spreading Hindu awareness.

Lastly, Hindus, especially those in India need to make effort to help low castes. Caste problems are huge in India and believe me if there was equality among caste, Hinduism would flourish throughout India.

These are my suggestions so far. If anyone else has some suggestions then please post them.

And Guest, perhaps you can post a link to the interfaith forums for other Hindus here to spread awareness.

In addition, those who want to become Hindu should not be forced to stop eating meat to become Hindu. I noticed this to be a trend in ISKON

When you tell people about the real, then people will give up meat, without a peep.:smash:

Guest guest

When you tell people about the real, then people will give up meat, without a peep.:smash:

Pankaja Dasa,

Thanks for your reply. I am in no way advocating meat eating or implying that Hindus who spread awareness should advocate eating meat. However, whether one can eat meat or not is extremeley divided among the Hindu community as a whole as there are scriptures that advocate ahimsa and there are scriptures that are neutral. Both sides have arguments that are equally strong so ultimately I believe it would have to be up to the person to decide if they want to eat meat or not. My main piont is that this should not stop a person or this should not be a requirement for one to become a Hindu or have faith in Hinduism. I believe those who will follow ahimsa will stop eating meat and those who dont won't but this should should be up to the person to decide.

Pankaja Dasa,

Thanks for your reply. I am in no way advocating meat eating or implying that Hindus who spread awareness should advocate eating meat. However, whether one can eat meat or not is extremeley divided among the Hindu community as a whole as there are scriptures that advocate ahimsa and there are scriptures that are neutral. Both sides have arguments that are equally strong so ultimately I believe it would have to be up to the person to decide if they want to eat meat or not. My main piont is that this should not stop a person or this should not be a requirement for one to become a Hindu or have faith in Hinduism. I believe those who will follow ahimsa will stop eating meat and those who dont won't but this should should be up to the person to decide.

How do you define Hinduisum? Is is so vast. Where exactly will you start?

..establish which part you belong, Hinduisum you're being given a choice,

(Jnana, Karma, Bhakti).

Your right people find it confucing, because Hindus don't know what

part they belong to. You can't be everything. Either you're a

Vaishnava, Shavite, Shakti, etc..

(I am indian by the way).:)

How do you define Hinduisum? Is is so vast. Where exactly will you start?

..establish which part you belong, Hinduisum you're being given a choice,

(Jnana, Karma, Bhakti).

Your right people find it confucing, because Hindus don't know what

part they belong to. You can't be everything. Either you're a

Vaishnava, Shavite, Shakti, etc..

(I am indian by the way).:)

Exactly,

"I am in no way advocating meat eating or implying that Hindus who spread awareness should advocate eating meat. However, whether one can eat meat or not is extremeley divided among the Hindu community as a whole as there are scriptures that advocate ahimsa and there are scriptures that are neutral."

as becomes clear from the above quote, that's the problem, you can't define the "hindu". You can't define the "hindu" because there is simply no such thing as a religion called hinduism. It's nothing but a collective noun for all the different religions in India. Since you can't clearly define hinduism, how are you going to spread it?

Haribol!

Guest guest

Exactly,

as becomes clear from the above quote, that's the problem, you can't define the "hindu". You can't define the "hindu" because there is simply no such thing as a religion called hinduism. It's nothing but a collective noun for all the different religions in India. Since you can't clearly define hinduism, how are you going to spread it?

Haribol!

I knew I would I would start getting bashed by ISKON members on this forum because of my views on meat. Anyway, what I mean by spreading Hinduism is that people should spread the different denominations so people can learn about them and they can follow what they feel is for them. People need to be more aware of the many denominations within Hinduism and they need to be aware of the many Holy books such as the Ramayana, Upanishads, Gita. Spreading awareness is the key. There are many different paths within Hinduism for people to follow. It is very simply to be a Hindu, just by following the books people can become Hindu. They dont need to go through ISKON or get become extreme to become spiritual. I am not bashing ISKON, I think it is wonderful what they are doing but I think people can become a Krishna devotee simply by purchasing a copy of the Gita and following it and loving Krishna. Those who want to take a more spiritual path (monks) within these denominations will and those who just want to love God and attain moksha will.

Anyway, it would be nice to stick to the original topic =). So if there are other suggestions from people on what we can do to spread Hinduism please write them on here.

I knew I would I would start getting bashed by ISKON members on this forum because of my views on meat. Anyway, what I mean by spreading Hinduism is that people should spread the different denominations so people can learn about them and they can follow what they feel is for them. People need to be more aware of the many denominations within Hinduism and they need to be aware of the many Holy books such as the Ramayana, Upanishads, Gita. Spreading awareness is the key. There are many different paths within Hinduism for people to follow. It is very simply to be a Hindu, just by following the books people can become Hindu. They dont need to go through ISKON or get become extreme to become spiritual. I am not bashing ISKON, I think it is wonderful what they are doing but I think people can become a Krishna devotee simply by purchasing a copy of the Gita and following it and loving Krishna. Those who want to take a more spiritual path (monks) within these denominations will and those who just want to love God and attain moksha will.

Anyway, it would be nice to stick to the original topic =). So if there are other suggestions from people on what we can do to spread Hinduism please write them on here.

Well, if it's of any consolation to you I'm neither an ISKCON member, nor was my reply an attempt to bash you in any way. I also didn't quote your remark on the subject of meat-eating to bash you or people who do eat it, but simply to show that under the umbrella of hinduism exist vast differences. So, I was simply inquiring as to what it was you were trying to spread, because hinduism is not a religion, as you have acknowledged now.

Haribol!

Guest guest

as becomes clear from the above quote, that's the problem, you can't define the "hindu". You can't define the "hindu" because there is simply no such thing as a religion called hinduism.

Last time I checked the name of this forum is Hindu-Religion.net? and thus the posters who would be attracted to this forum are going to be Hindus.

It is a shame that members of Vaishnava sects denigrate other Hindus. This only causes unnecessary division and confusion. Whether we are Saivite, Shakta, Smarta, or Vaishnava, we have so much in common. We each teach Karma and reincarnation; we each teach that about Moksha and the need to obtain liberation from material existence.

Whether one is a devotee of Shiva or Krishna, or Kali, should not make a difference to us. For being a sincere devotee of either, can only lead to our spiritual advancement. Some great saints have been Saivites; some great saints have been Vaishnavas; some great saints have been Shakta.

Let's not get hungup on these unneccesary divisions. Please.

Guest guest

hinduism is not a religion

if Hinduism is not a religion, why is this forum and its url called Hindu-religion.net?

if Hinduism is not a religion, why is this forum and its url called Hindu-religion.net?

To attract people of the all the various religions that fall under the hindu denomination. It's a site for all Indian religions and not just for Vaisnavas or Saivaites or Mayavadi's, hence they labelled it Hindu-religion.net. All I'm saying is that the word hinduism does not define a single religion, but that it's simply a collective noun for all the different religions in India. Why this objective observation is seen as a denigrating attitude of Vaisnavas is beyond me honestly.

Haribol!

Guest guest

Rather Hindus should just simply spread awareness of Hinduism. There should be more Hindu temples and temple services for youths and adults to discuss the importance of Hindu scriptures and Hindus should def. get involved as a group in helping the community. Book distributions are always great.

I agree. One idea I have is for us who want to help spread hinduism is to donate some good books to our library. My local library carries no books on Hinduism, except one translation of the Gita, and a brief introduction book on Hinduism that makes this statement "unlike other religions, people cannot convert to Hinduism. You're either born a Hindu or you're not." Yes, this is what the book says, the only introduction to Hinduism book at my public library! :( The same library carries about 20 books on Buddhism, and another 20 on Islam. I wanted to write the author when I read that, I was so upset.

Anyway, I am going to donate some books next week. And your post encouraged me to do so. So thank you.

There should be more awareness in those communities and countries that know very little about Hinduism. Specifically in America, I have noticed that African American communities are not aware of Hinduism. Many have converted to Islam and Christianity seeking equality but if they were aware of Hinduism they would know what true equality is since Hinduism teaches that there is no black or white, no pretty or ugly, we are in material bodies and we will go through many bodies and many lifetimes so no sense in judging a person by their skin.

You're right. I have only met a handful of african hindus in my entire life. A couple were devotees of Ammachi. And I also believe the actress Phylishia Rashead (sp?) from the Cosby show is a Saivite, and her Guru is Gurumayi of the Siddha Yoga school.

I remember once on the beliefnet Hindu boards, an african poster came on and said he was interested in learning about Hinduism, but was worried that Indians were racist against people of darker skin. For example, bollywood movies only show light-skinned indians, and not the darker skinned Indians. Now I know bollywood, is a secular conglomeration, and does not represent Sanatana Dharma; but my point is this man's perception that he felt he might not be welcomed by indian Hindus because he is dark! This is very sad thinking. And so we must do everything we can to show that Hindus are non-racists. There is no care about skin color or what race a person is when becoming a Hindu. We welcome africans who want to convert to Hinduism, just as much as our white brothers, and yellow brothers. :)

Further, Hindus need to start making the effort to clear up misconceptions about Hinduism. There are some lies circulating about is- we are castiest, some even say we are racist and some say we are primitive because we worship idols. Teach people that we are not woshipping idols, these statues have meaning behind them and the term idol worship comes from the Abrahamic faiths in order to destroy and kill nations of ancient cultures who all once lived peacefully. There is nothing greater then teaching tolerance through Hinduism.

Agreed. It's just recently that Hindus have taken up to clear up these misconceptions in Calfornia school textbooks. Other Hindus must follow their lead.

Secondly, none should be ashamed of our religion; as if Hinduism is some private disease we have, that we don't want to talk about in public. Christians are not ashamed of their faith. Muslims are not ashamed of their faith. Buddhists are not ashamed of their faith. So why should Hindus practically apologize for being Hindus? This makes no sense. We have a great religion, filled with sublime teaching, which so many would be interested in learning about, if we'd only open our mouths and share with those who are interested. :)

Guest guest

To attract people of the all the various religions that fall under the hindu denomination. It's a site for all Indian religions and not just for Vaisnavas or Saivaites or Mayavadi's, hence they labelled it Hindu-religion.net. All I'm saying is that the word hinduism does not define a single religion, but that it's simply a collective noun for all the different religions in India.

I disagree. I do not believe Jainism or Sikhism, for example, fall under the definition of Hinduism. Even though they are religions which began in India and have many similar teachings to Hinduism. The 'Hindu-Tent' only includes sects which have some clearly defined beliefs, scriptures and practices that tie them together with other vedic sects.

Here are few suggestions that I think might be helpful in spreading "Hinduism"

Try to explain the LOGIC/MEANING behind some of our traditions, starting with our kids. We can no longer tell our kids to follow traditions unless we can show them the logical meaning behind traditions. Kids no longer believe blindly which is something very good. Our main attention should be based on kids because they are the futur of tommorrow. In this respect some basic suggestions are:

1a. Explain properly to them the difference between idol and deity worship.

1b.Explain that there is only one GOD but many enpowered beings which help to maintain the proper functioning of the world.(explain them that hinduism is fundamentally monotheist)

1c. The significance of bowing to elders and bowing to GOD.

1d. They need to know, why mother cow is not to be consumed and why we give such respect to cow.(This one is one of missionaries favorite brainwashed tactics)

1e.Basic concept of reincarnation , Karma and Ahimsa.

2. See how we can use the schools/ college as a means to propagate "Hinduism" wherever possible. (Having bhagavad gita classes for example as part of the school curriculum)

3. Have many socio-religious hindu grops' gathering. Organise many socio-religious activities as well. ( You are moulded according to your environment)

4. Have special meetings between intellects and gurus to discuss about the connection between science and Hinduism. ( Hinduism has a wealth of knowledge about cosmology, medicine, metaphysics , mathematics etc which match prety well with modern science. This knowledge has been there well before the advent of the so called modern science). In short glorifies the knowledge of vedic science and show how it can be helpful to help all of us in our daily life.(Yoga is an example among many others)

5. Last but not least encourage our gurus and scholars to have publish as many books and websites as possible. This is where the source of information and answers are.

The more we know of our religion, the less likely are we liable to convert to other religions.

Our kids will get to see the beauty of sanatan dharma and develop a strong foundation. Strong foundation gives rise to unshakable faith.

As to whether they should eat meat or not, well if we are ourselves vegetarians most probably they will be as well. But ultimately its their choice.

Different demominations. how will you convince?..you explain how the Advaita-vadis say God has no form? .. you say Shiva Bhakta think Shiva is Supreme? ..you say Vaishnavas say only Krishna is God? People will run a mile. Krishna says in Bhagavad-gita everybody follows thier own path in all respects.

If I were (i'm not you). I would first of all read Bhagavad-gita, (www.vedabase.net) Has it on-line or click my siganture. If your really serious about preaching, then study it carefully. Or buy a copy. And don't make labels like Iskcon. Most devotees in Iskcon don't think they are in Iskcon. They just think they devotees of Krishna.

I bet you reply saying that you already read Gita (and u know it). :). Like I said if your serious then no better book the Bhagavad-gita. Bye for now, that's all I have to say on this topic. Good luck:deal:

Guest guest

Here are few suggestions that I think might be helpful in spreading "Hinduism"

Try to explain the LOGIC/MEANING behind some of our traditions, starting with our kids. We can no longer tell our kids to follow traditions unless we can show them the logical meaning behind traditions. Kids no longer believe blindly which is something very good. Our main attention should be based on kids because they are the futur of tommorrow. In this respect some basic suggestions are:

1a. Explain properly to them the difference between idol and deity worship.

1b.Explain that there is only one GOD but many enpowered beings which help to maintain the proper functioning of the world.(explain them that hinduism is fundamentally monotheist)

1c. The significance of bowing to elders and bowing to GOD.

1d. They need to know, why mother cow is not to be consumed and why we give such respect to cow.(This one is one of missionaries favorite brainwashed tactics)

1e.Basic concept of reincarnation , Karma and Ahimsa.

2. See how we can use the schools/ college as a means to propagate "Hinduism" wherever possible. (Having bhagavad gita classes for example as part of the school curriculum)

3. Have many socio-religious hindu grops' gathering. Organise many socio-religious activities as well. ( You are moulded according to your environment)

4. Have special meetings between intellects and gurus to discuss about the connection between science and Hinduism. ( Hinduism has a wealth of knowledge about cosmology, medicine, metaphysics , mathematics etc which match prety well with modern science. This knowledge has been there well before the advent of the so called modern science). In short glorifies the knowledge of vedic science and show how it can be helpful to help all of us in our daily life.(Yoga is an example among many others)

5. Last but not least encourage our gurus and scholars to have publish as many books and websites as possible. This is where the source of information and answers are.

The more we know of our religion, the less likely are we liable to convert to other religions.

Our kids will get to see the beauty of sanatan dharma and develop a strong foundation. Strong foundation gives rise to unshakable faith.

As to whether they should eat meat or not, well if we are ourselves vegetarians most probably they will be as well. But ultimately its their choice.

I like your ideas. Number 4 is especially good. I remember reading how Carl Sagan was fascinated by the Hindu teaching on the age of the Universe. And we know inventor of the Atom Bomb studied the sanskrit writings!

the mainstream needs to be more aware of the great knowledge base that exists in the Hindu scriptures and has been spoken about by our great sages.

Most people associate religion as being unscientific in the west. But when they learn more about the wealth of occult scientific knowledge of the east, they can gain more respect for the relationship between science and spirituality. They can see that belief in a soul, energy bodies, chakras, yoga for health, ayurvedic medicine etc. are actually based on ancient scientific knowledge and advanced understanding that mainstream western science has simply yet to discover.

There is no religion in the world with the wealth of scientific knowledge as Hinduism. And this knowledge must spread, by those who have the means and the intelligience to do so.

Guest guest

To attract people of the all the various religions that fall under the hindu denomination. It's a site for all Indian religions and not just for Vaisnavas or Saivaites or Mayavadi's, hence they labelled it Hindu-religion.net. All I'm saying is that the word hinduism does not define a single religion, but that it's simply a collective noun for all the different religions in India.

Hinduism is just the name we use today for the evolution of the Vedic religion. All these sects claim their roots in the Vedas. So Vaishnavas, Shaivites, Shaktas, Smartas, Arya Samaji's, etc are not seperate religions but very diverse sects with some differing scriptures but one common scriptures -The Vedas.

Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists are not Hindus are they do not claim the Vedas as their source.

Hinduism is just the name we use today for the evolution of the Vedic religion. All these sects claim their roots in the Vedas. So Vaishnavas, Shaivites, Shaktas, Smartas, Arya Samaji's, etc are not seperate religions but very diverse sects with some differing scriptures but one common scriptures -The Vedas.

Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists are not Hindus are they do not claim the Vedas as their source.

Okay, so I meant alot of different religions, not all. It was just to make clear that there are many different religions in "hinduism". So if hinduism is a religion, then tell me who is God in Hinduism? "Oh, it's Shiva. No, it's Vishnu! No, it's Rama! No it's the holy trinity Vishnu, Brahma, Shiva! No it's the formless Brahman! No it's Krishna!No they are all God!":crazy2::confused:

All conclusions are based on the Vedas, so what will you say? "Oh just pick whatever you like, that is hinduism? Just worship Ganesh today and Vishnu tomorrow, and after tomorrow you can try to merge into the formless Brahman. It all doesn't matter, it's all the same?" Well it's not, because all may or may not be God in some way or form, but the destinations for souls worshiping these different aspects of God are totally different. It's not that if I worship Ganesh that I will go to the same destination as when I worship Shiva, understand what I mean?

Here's some more info on the origins of the word hindu if you still think it defines a religion:

http://hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_meaning.htm

http://voi.org/books/htemples2/app3.htm

http://www.salagram.net/hindu-ism-origin.html

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/about_the_name_Hindu.htm

So at last quoted from another 'hindu' website: "Hinduism is not a single religious faith system because it does not insist on any fixed set of doctrines. There are a variety of religious sects or traditions in hinduism." So my point is; what are you going to teach, what are you going to spread? A some point you will have to take a stance in one sect because you simply can't spread a vague, nondescript message can you?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents and I'm going to leave it at that. Good luck with your mission,

Haribol!

Guest guest

It's not that if I worship Ganesh that I will go to the same destination as when I worship Shiva, understand what I mean?

Since Lord Ganesha is the son of Lord Shiva, and he is worshipped by almost all Saivites alongside Lord Shiva; why would Ganesha devotees and Shiva devotees not go to the same or similar destination?

And let's say there are separate lokas for each devotee, and liberated bhaktas who are devotees of the various forms of God, go to separate lokas - if they are LIBERATED then they should still be able to travel between lokas anyway? A liberated one is not bound by time or space.

"Hinduism is not a single religious faith system because it does not insist on any fixed set of doctrines. There are a variety of religious sects or traditions in hinduism." So my point is; what are you going to teach, what are you going to spread? A some point you will have to take a stance in one sect because you simply can't spread a vague, nondescript message can you?

no offense, but I have seen so many Gaudiya Vaishnavas online who seem hungup on separating themselves from other Hindus. I have not seen this problem as much with other Vaishnavas or Saivites. There are large Hindu organizations that are not trying to be so divisive and are trying to help spread universal knowledge of Hinduism and it's various sects.

All Hindus share some very important same beliefs. All Hindus believe in karma and reincarnation; and all Hindus teach that we must obtain Moksha thru some form of Yoga practice (bhakti, jnana, kundalini yoga, etc). Some people are more inclinded to worship Shiva and practice Kundalini Yoga, while others are more inclined to worship Krishna and practice bhakti yoga. Neither one is wrong. Each soul is seeking spiritual advancement.

As Hinduism has spread to the west, Swamis have made this clear. That there are different yoga practices for different people. But the spiritual goal of moksha is the same. So some people are attracted to one Swami, and others to another. And this is the beauty of the diversity within Hinduism. Instead of denigrating the diversity, we should celebrate it and understand why it is there. For it provides something for every devotee/seeker under it's large tent.

Just go to Khumb Mela next time, and see our beautiful diversity.. and from a transcendental perspective see how the various sects are like different sides of a precious jewel. Each helping out some seeker/devotee make spiritual advancement. Some more than other perhaps, but each helping.

If some here do not want to help spread Hinduism, so be it. But the rest of Hindus (of whaterver sect) who are blessed to be followers of the Sanatana Dharma and who feel inclinded, should and will share the universal teachings, with those who can so benefit from hearing them.

There have been several good ideas posted on this thread. And I hope many readers will act on some of them.

Jai Ganesh

Very nice post above.

I would only like to add is that Hindu Dharma is and always been about practicing. it is said, that the path is like walking on a double edge sword.

It is not about numbers, but about following the virtues laid in the scriptures.

Krishna is very clear in Bhagvat Gita who to tell and who not to.

There is nothing wrong in singing the glories of the great sanatan Dharma that has been practiced in the Land of Bharat which now India ( what ever is left of it) but it is even better if we follow and become an example for others to want to know why we do what we do which makes us so peaceful and happy, even if the path is hard.

Jasi Shree Krishna

Guest guest

Nrsinghadev,

So you agree it's many sects. I have said that Hinduism is the EVOLUTION of the Vedic religion - that means all these paths and sects that have evolved from the Vedic religion.

The Vedic religion was never a narrow religion, it was never meant to be concerned with only one path, it was meant to grow, with verses like "God is one, sages call it by different names". It consists of many paths to God, of which these sects that grew out of Hinduism believe the path they are teaching is valid. It is up to the individual sects to sort out any disagreement they have with others. Most Hindus believe they are all paths that will lead to God.

These sects all see the Vedas as their root, but differ with each other from what their founder (acharya or guru) has experienced about God and the later smriti scriptures they follow (usually Puranas). Many of these sects place more emphesis on the Puranas or Agamas they follow, than the Vedas. Their guru may have experienced God as Krishna through Bhakti-yoga, so he will teach his followers to do the same, but he has not experienced Brahman or Ishwar through Raja-yoga, whereas another guru who has, will teach his followers how to.

I find it's only gaudiya Vaishnavas who have such a big problem with the word Hindu and we all know Srila Prabhupada had a problem with those known as 'Hindus'.

Since Lord Ganesha is the son of Lord Shiva, and he is worshipped by almost all Saivites alongside Lord Shiva; why would Ganesha devotees and Shiva devotees not go to the same or similar destination?

And let's say there are separate lokas for each devotee, and liberated bhaktas who are devotees of the various forms of God, go to separate lokas - if they are LIBERATED then they should still be able to travel between lokas anyway? A liberated one is not bound by time or space.

By this reasoning it wouldn't matter Who or what you worship, you could just whimsically worship any god to the same result. The scriptures do not agree to this concept.

no offense, but I have seen so many Gaudiya Vaishnavas online who seem hungup on separating themselves from other Hindus. I have not seen this problem as much with other Vaishnavas or Saivites. There are large Hindu organizations that are not trying to be so divisive and are trying to help spread universal knowledge of Hinduism and it's various sects.

No offense here either, but again there seem to be some misunderstandings. I have noticed a rather prejudiced stance against Gaudiya Vaisnavas from alot of people on this board and if you ask me, this attitude should be checked for even if such posts or public remarks are made by Gaudiya Vaisnavas, most likely they are just neophyte devotees trying their best to spread their religion. So instead of taking offense from them, we should be hailing their efforts and not feel offended. They are trying to promote God consciousness just like you and me. Just see that most of the people that post these sort of things here on this board are not even registered, and not large in number by any means, so please don't base your view of Gaudiya Vaisnavas on them.

So first off, there has never been any malice, or intended offense on my behalf,and if someone perceived it as so, then know now that there was no such intention. I am fully aware that it is very easy to misinterpret one's intentions on any internet messageboard. Conflict seems to arise momentarily, you write one wrong word and it gets skewed and consequently blown out of proportion and you get ganged-up upon. I am only trying my best to avoid this myself so if I fail at it please forgive me.

Secondly, In none of my post am I distancing Gaudiya Vaisnavism from "hinduism", in fact I haven't even mentioned Gaudiya Vaisnavism but people jump to conclusions right away.

From my first post on to this very last, there has never been any intention to separate any sect from any supposed denomination, I have simply been trying to make clear that Hinduism is not a single religion, and therefore it is not possible to spread hinduism as hinduism, because it is just a collective noun for so many different religions. This is my own opinion, so really there's no need to bring Srila Prabhupada's opinion on the word Hinduism into play.

As such I have merely been asking what exactly you would want to spread. It was just a friendly question.

The word Hinduism is like a drawer in which the different paths are operating and functioning without conflict or problems. As such, when we speak of an evolution, the only thing that would have actually "evolved" would be the word Hinduism which first went by the name Sanatana Dharma, at least that is according to the information provided by wikipedia. But again, my point is that whatever the name evolves into (actually I couldn't care less), it still does not specify a single religion. That was actually all I was trying to make clear.

Hey, I also believe Shaivism is a true path, Advaita vedanta is a true path, and whatever other paths are under the Vedic umbrella. I am not living with swords drawn against those sects! To each his own, different people different tastes, that's why God allowed for all these different paths to come into existance in the first place, knowing that not even a blade of grass would move if it was not the Lord's will.

Of course God is one, He has unlimited expansions and unlimited avataras, but, each of these require a specific type of worship. Though all one, though all coming from God, they still differ from one another, still explain the same scriptures differently and have different realizations. All paths lead to God in the form of steps, but not every path is on the same level of God realization. A mayavadi for instance, also uses the Vedas but his realization of God does not extend beyond the formless Brahman.

Again I want to stress that this is no attempt to separate any sect from the hindu denomination. It was, and still is just a simple objective observation unmotivated by any sectarian thought. I am making these observations from outside the box, not from a Gaudiya Vaisnava point of view. Hence once again, my question is, what is it exactly that you are going to spread? Or how would you go about teaching this, circulate gurus from each camp?

And if instead you would say, "just try to spread the message of your respective sect/religion more and more", then why all the criticism on the Gaudiya Vaisnavas, as I they are already doing that and I think they are doing an examplary job at that, spreading the message of their respective religion . So in this case, why the need for the denomination of "Hinduism"?

Hey I'm friendly with Lord Shiva and His devotees, heck, I am even friendly to a non-believing atheist, so personally, the word Hinduism doesn't make me feel more or less close to the other Vedic paths. Anyway, I will do my best to propagate my respective religion, and I wish all the other sects and religions under the Hindu banner the best of luck in spreading theirs. Peace be with all of you and,

Haribol!