IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Swaminarayan

Rate this topic

Guest guest
Ok! Now I have to visit India! That is possibly the most beautiful temple I've ever seen!

Guest guest

Wow tahts amazing, must visit N Delhi to see that temple..

Good to know the Swaminarayan an offshoot of sri vaishnava are going well in India if not bettter than Iskcon /gaudiya combined

Jai Sri Krsna Jai Radhe

Guest guest

<<< Good to know the Swaminarayan an offshoot of sri vaishnava >>>

Since when have they been an offshoot of the Sri Sampradaya?! You've got that completely wrong.

I would be interested to know what Sampradaya they really are, in their own view.

Guest guest

To clear the queiry on the links between the sect of Ramanuja (srivaishanam) and Swaminarayan, i shall explain in terms of my own knowledge. Now to the Swaminarayn devotees Sahajananda swami (swaminarayan) is the founder of their sect, they beleive him to be supreme lord (to seem even the source of Krishna/narayana) who took incarnation in a brahmin family. Although the swaminarayans accept Sahajanand swami as the start of thier Guru Pramapara (as they beleiv he is God), they accept that he took Diksha (initiation) (just as Rama did From Vishvamitra and Krishna from Sandipani) from a Guru. According to the history of the sect, The young Swaminarayan went on a pilgamage of India during which he did penance and enquired on the various aspects of Vedanta, and apparanltly was not satisfied untill he arrived in Gujarat and met Ramananda who he accepted as Guru. THIS RAMANADA SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH RAMANADACHARYA WHO FOUNDED THE RAMA-BHAKTHI SECTS OF NORTH INDIA WHO LIVED A FEW CENTURIES BEFORE SWAMINARAYAN.

Now Ramananda (who by the way is believed to be udhava incarnate) to like swaminarayan had went on all india search for the truth. being unsatisfied with Mayavad/advaita, Ramanda arrived in Srirangam; the headquarters of Srivashnavism and caaried out some service there. Accodring to swaminaryan sect history Sri Ramanujacharaya (who had dissappeared centuries before) appeared to Ramananda in a vision and initated into Vaishnavism.. Adopting the Vishitadvaita philosophy of Ramanuja, Ramananda then goes to Gujarat and starts a devotinal association , and according to members of the sect prepares for swaminarayans arrival.

Upon initiation Swaminarayn soon becomes the head of Ramanda's fellowship and accepts the philosophy of Ramanuja (visistadvaita), and i think he 'ellabotrates' on it, so today the philosphy of swaminarayan is called 'navya Visitadvaita'.

So in summary the Swaminarayans trace their Parampara to Ramanuja (i doubt if this is accepted by Srivaishnavas) and adopt his philosophy. Also in the Akshar Purushotam branch of Swaminarayan, swami Gunatitanand (akshar) seems to occupy a similar position to Sri in Srivaishnavam. Apart from that the swaminarayans are distinct from Srivashvas, as they dont share the same tilak mark, dont chant the Same mantra, dont chant Divya Prabhandanam, etc....

Guest guest

... very informative post.

You said you doubt if their connection to Sri Vaishnavism is accepted by Srivaishnavas. Any idea why? If they indeed belonged to or had any association with the Sri Vaisnavas, why would they deny it?

Also, you're right about the mantras they chant or the texts they read. There doesn't seem to be any connection at all.

Guest guest

>>Nice temple and all but where are any deities?

check the center of the 3rd picture from the top, I see a deity of Swaminarayan.

Guest guest

u can barely see any deity, they have put more importance on how big the temple is, rather than what the purpose or any dieties within the temple

Guest guest

Here is a new topic: Swaminarayan

please make comments and questions and me and all the other Swaminaryan's will strive to answer them

just to say, visit:

www . swaminarayan . org

www . akshardham . com

Guest guest

Does the Swaminarayan sampradaya initiate sincere devotees of all castes and races?

Guest guest

the BAPS Swaminarayan religion accepts all types of people from all castes and all races. however, as most devotees speak + understand gujurati (so did Lord Swaminarayan), it is preferable to know gujurati as well.

Guest guest

how does the Swaminarayan teach moksha is obtained? by bhakti to Lord Swaminarayan?

Guest guest

I do not know a lot about the Swaminaryan teachings, and would like to learn more. I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering.

1. Where do liberated jivas go (according to Swaminarayan teachings)? Vaikuntha?

2. Can people on other paths, such as Saivites, Sakthas, Smartas and other Vaishnavas also obtain moksha? In other words do the Swaminarayan devotees believe only they can obtain Moksha?

2. is it prophesied or believed that in the future the Swaminarayan teachings will spread to other races and countries? to benefit all mankind?

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Swaminarayan was a god not a guru in case you have heard that. He lived when he was youg in a village near Ahyodya, called Chappiya. His birth name was ghanyshyam and many times evil demons tried to kill him but hanuman dada came to his rescue. When he was 11 he left home for his yatra of Bharat. He went through badrinath and the himalayas when they were at their worst. He stayed at the nar-narayan ashram for a few months as rishis were awaiting his stay there. His name was nilkanth at the time. He redeemed many souls and destroyed but redeemed many demons. He ended his yatra in a village called Loj in Gujurat. There he heard of ramanand swami who was a very great guru in the region. He complained in mandirs of women and men sitting together because sadhus could easily leave their saintlyhood and become householders with women. So he solved that. Eventually when ramanand swami came he accepted nilkanth as his diciple and name him Sahajanand Swami. Many people felt samadhi at his feet seeing him in heaven being served by evenry avatar and god. They also saw another saint called Gunatitanand swami who is AKSHAR. I cannot explain who akshar is, find out. He made many mandirs such as the one in Amdhavad. He is truly parmatma. He lived till the age of 40 and then a age of gurus carried on.

This is the like:

Sahajanand Swami Maharaj

Gunatitanand Swami Maharaj

Bhagatji Maharaj

Shastriji Maharaj (he started BAPS after being harrased at Vartal)

Yoghiji Maharaj

Pramukh Swami Maharaj who is the present guru

I hope i have helped you learn more

Jai Swaminarayan

Jai Sachindanand :deal:

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I do not know a lot about the Swaminaryan teachings, and would like to learn more. I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering.

1. Where do liberated jivas go (according to Swaminarayan teachings)? Vaikuntha?

2. Can people on other paths, such as Saivites, Sakthas, Smartas and other Vaishnavas also obtain moksha? In other words do the Swaminarayan devotees believe only they can obtain Moksha?

2. is it prophesied or believed that in the future the Swaminarayan teachings will spread to other races and countries? to benefit all mankind?

Guest guest

Swaminarayan was a god not a guru in case you have heard that. He lived when he was youg in a village near Ahyodya, called Chappiya. His birth name was ghanyshyam and many times evil demons tried to kill him but hanuman dada came to his rescue. When he was 11 he left home for his yatra of Bharat. He went through badrinath and the himalayas when they were at their worst. He stayed at the nar-narayan ashram for a few months as rishis were awaiting his stay there. His name was nilkanth at the time. He redeemed many souls and destroyed but redeemed many demons. He ended his yatra in a village called Loj in Gujurat. There he heard of ramanand swami who was a very great guru in the region. He complained in mandirs of women and men sitting together because sadhus could easily leave their saintlyhood and become householders with women. So he solved that. Eventually when ramanand swami came he accepted nilkanth as his diciple and name him Sahajanand Swami. Many people felt samadhi at his feet seeing him in heaven being served by evenry avatar and god. They also saw another saint called Gunatitanand swami who is AKSHAR. I cannot explain who akshar is, find out. He made many mandirs such as the one in Amdhavad. He is truly parmatma. He lived till the age of 40 and then a age of gurus carried on.

This is the like:

Sahajanand Swami Maharaj

Gunatitanand Swami Maharaj

Bhagatji Maharaj

Shastriji Maharaj (he started BAPS after being harrased at Vartal)

Yoghiji Maharaj

Pramukh Swami Maharaj who is the present guru

I hope i have helped you learn more

Jai Swaminarayan

Jai Sachindanand :deal:

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately you did not answer any of my questions.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">we believe all can obtain moksha but only to the god they prayed to but with us our abode akshardham is the highest of highest heavens. We got akshardham after death if we have achieved that post. It will spread over the world maming everyone hindu and then more into swaminarayan. The number prophesised is 500 years. Bharat desh will also become the most powerful.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guest guest

This is interesting info. I thank you for answering my questions.

we believe all can obtain moksha but only to the god they prayed to but with us our abode akshardham is the highest of highest heavens. We got akshardham after death if we have achieved that post.

Where is Akshardam? is it above Vaikuntha? do any Swaminarayan sites have a chart of the afterlife realms as they see them?

It will spread over the world maming everyone hindu and then more into swaminarayan. The number prophesised is 500 years. Bharat desh will also become the most powerful.

that would be an amazing if it is true. how many different races are represented in Swaminarayan thus far? For example, Gaudiya Vaishnavas have people of every race on the planet that are now devotees of Lord Krishna. Likewise, Lord Shiva told the Kashmir Saivites, to spread their knowledge to every race and caste on the planet, for it is for all embodied souls. And thus we can find devotees of Lord Shiva all around the world in the year 2006.

This global awakening you speak of would change the world from the present Kali Yuga to a golden age; and all embodied souls would become eligible for moksha in their lifetime.

Guest guest

Why do swaminarayans worship Guru, when swaminarayan himself instructed you to worship krishna? please answer!

Guest guest

Why do swaminarayans worship Guru, when swaminarayan himself instructed you to worship krishna? please answer!

probably for the same reason Gaudiyas worship Lord Chaitanya?