IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Whitelotus019

Taking tulasi of your neck..

Rate this topic

Hari bole

I wanted to know if you take the tulasi neckbead off your neck and then put it back on is that an offence? I Know you should always keep it on but what if you took it out when going to shower then ended up putting it back on is that ok? what should that person do afterwards when putting it back on?

Thank you

:]:idea:

Hari bole

I wanted to know if you take the tulasi neckbead off your neck and then put it back on is that an offence? I Know you should always keep it on but what if you took it out when going to shower then ended up putting it back on is that ok? what should that person do afterwards when putting it back on?

Thank you

<center>Wearing Tulsi Beads Around the Neck

</center> <center>by Srila Bhakti Kusum Sraman Goswami Maharaja

</center> <center>kusum_75.jpg</center> <center> Sri Srila Bhakti Kusum Sraman Goswami Maharaja

Former President Acharya of Akara mathraj

Sri Chaitnya Math and Its branch maths (1900-1986)

</center> [Taken from "Gaudiya Darshane Bhagvat Kathamrita 1"of Sri Srila Bhakti Kusum Sraman Goswami Maharaja]

It is said in Vishnudharmottar : The Lord says that one who wears the beads made out of the wood of Tulsi in one's neck, even if he is untidy and ill- charactered, will undoubtedly attain Me only.

In Garud Purana it is stated: All those people of evil argumentative mentality who say why to wear Tulsi beads, what results are attained by wearing them, and don't wear Tulsi beads around their neck, burn in the fire of anger of Sri Hari and will never get liberated from hell.

Sri Krishna will grant the fruit of being the resident of Dvarka immediately to those who wear Tulsi beads around the neck. The sins of the person who wears neck beads made of Tulsi with devotion after offering to Sri Vishnu will get vanquished and Devakinandan Sri Krishna will always remain pleased with him, he does not need to undergo further atonement, no more sins remain in his body.

In Kaliyuga, one, who is bedecked with the beads made of Tulsi, performs ritual activities and activities pertaining to ancestors and demigods, obtains crores times more results. The messengers of Yama will flee away by the sight of the Tulsi beads just as leaves are blown off by wind.

In Skanda-puran it is stated :- Those who wear neck beads made of Tulsi after offering it to Sri Hari are definitely foremost among the devotees of Lord. Those fools who wear Tulsi beads without offering to Hari will definitely go to hell. After presenting the mala, it should be purified with panca-gavya; after that the mula-mantra should be recited followed by the recitation of the gayatri mantra for eight times. Touching with incense, worship with this Sadyojata-mantra with utmost devotion:

Om sadyojatah prapadyami sadyojataya vai namo namah

Bhave tave nadi bhave bhajeswamam bhavod-bhavaya namah

After that, this prayer should be made, "Oh! Mala ! You are made of Tulsi and are dear to Vaisnavas . I wear you around my neck; you make me dear to Sri Krishna. 'Ma' means 'me', 'La' means 'to give'. Oh Hari-Vallabhe ! You have given me to Vaisnava devotees, hence you are known as mala. Those Vaisnavas who pray in accordance with rituals in this manner and first offer the mala in the neck of Sri Krishna and then puts it to themselves attain the Lotus feet of Sri Vishnu." It is stated in Padma Purana : either during morning ablutions or bathing or eating or at any state which is clean or unclean, Tulsi mala has to be worn always; that means mala should not be removed under any circumstance.

Shastras say: Tulsi mala should always be worn as yajna-sutra or sacred thread. Those who remove Tulsi mala even for a moment are considered to be Vishnu-drohi.

Notes:

[1] The book "Gaudiya Darshane Bhagvat Kathamrita" is a collection of selected articles published initially in the journal Gaudiya and newspaper Daily Nadiya Prakash (both published by Shri Gaudiya Math). The present article was originally published in the journal Gaudiya, in 465-466, Gaurabd-Era (1951-52 AD).

[2] For more information contact Shri Nitai Das or Ashish Kumar Singh

---From http://www.bvml.org/SBKSGM/

Haribol!

Oh dear..

I bought my tulsi neckbeads from the Bhaktivedanta website in the UK when I first became interested in KC. I did not know any of this before today. Would the beads have already been offered to Lord Hari before being sold ?

The beads did not come with any instructions about useage/offence

I have always taken them off before showering to avoid the beads getting wet and perhaps eventually being damaged by swelling up/drying out.

Will Lord Krishna forgive me my ignorance/offence as I meant none ?

All glories to Srila Prabhupada

Mark

Dear Mark,

Though one cannot say that absolutely no offence has taken place with ignorance as the defence, offences made in ignorance are easily overcome - through acquiring proper knowledge, and then acting in the appropriate manner.

I don't think the tulsis you got were offered before being sold. Many are, unfortunately, in ignorance over this principle of offering tulasi-beads to Krishna before using them himself - which is rather surprising, given that everyone is aware that tulasi-leaves must always be offered first!

Here is something I once wrote on mala-samskara, it adds more details to Shraman Maharaja's description. Most of what's in his essay is actually directly quoted from Hari-bhakti-vilasa, although the reference isn't given.

--

tulasI-mAlA-saMskAra vidhi - sanctifying the tulasI-mAlA

Japa-mala and kanthi-mala must be purified and offered before they are taken into use. The rite of sanctifying the mala should performed by gurudeva or another senior Vaishnava. In their absence, one may also do it himself.

To purify the mala, you should first bathe it in sacred water. Then, place it on a tray and bathe it with pancha-gavya, or the five substances of cow (milk, yoghurt, ghee, cow dung and cow urine), followed by the pancha-amrita, or the five nectarine substances (milk, yoghurt, ghee, honey and sugar-water).

Having completed the bathing, chant the eighteen-syllable Krishna-mantra and the kama-gayatri eight times each over the mala. Then, worship the mala with the touch of the fumes of incense, chanting the sadyojAta-mantra:

sadyojAtaM prapadyAmi sadyojAtAya vai namo namaH |

bhave bhave nAtibhave bhavasva mAm bhavodbhavAya namaH || mnu 17.1

“I seek shelter in the giver of new life, I salute him again and again. Do not leave me amidst the mundane world, lead me beyond; Obeisances to the one at the source of the worlds!”

With this rite, new life is invoked into the mala for the deliverance of the sadhaka. Before employing the mala, one should pray to the sacred mala, offering it to Krishna. One should never employ a mala without offering it first:

haraye nArpayed yas tu tulasI-kASTha-sambhavAm |

mAlAM dhatte svayaM mUDhaH sa yAti narakaM dhruvam || hbv 4.310

“That fool, who accepts the mala made of tulasi-wood without offering it to Hari, will attain a permanent hell.”

Having duly offered the mala to Thakur by wearing it around his neck or touching it to his hand, and then touching it to the heads of his companions and the guru-varga, one may employ it himself. If a kanthi-mala has been sanctified, it should be bound around the neck with the following mantra:

tulasI-kASTha-sambhUte mAle kRSNa-jana priYe |

bibharmi tvAm ahaM kaNThe kuru mAM kRSNa-vallabhaM || hbv 4.312

“Born of the branches of Tulasi, mala, dear to Krishna’s people; I carry you in my neck, make me dear to Krishna.”

If a japa-mala is been sanctified, it should be taken with folded hands and placed into the bead bag with the following prayers:

avighnaM kuru mAle tvaM hari.nAma-japeSu ca |

zrI-rAdhA-kRSNayor dAsyaM dehi-mAle tu prArthaye || mbd 4.223

“O mala, I implore you: Make my harinama-japa free of obstacles, bestow me the servitude of Radha and Krishna!”

tvaM mAle sarva-devAnAM sarva-siddhi.pradA matA |

tena satyena me siddhiM dehi mAtar namo’stu te || mbd 4.225

“You, O mala, we know as the abode of all gods and the bestower of all perfections. Thus, verily, bestow perfection unto me; Obeisances unto you!”

I know it says that you shouldn't take the tulsi off but I know some devotees who change their neckbeads sometimes and what if the bead breaks and you need to replace it? Would it still be offensive?

If the beads break, you'll of course have to do this. However, there is no need to take off your tulasi-mala during bath and other such activities. I can't really think of any other good reason than its breaking for taking it off. Wearing tulasi-mala is known as the devotional practice of vaiSNava-cihna-dharaNa, "carrying the symbols of a Vaishnava", one of the 64 aspects of bhakti noted in Bhakti-rasamrita-sindhu. Then, even if you aren't engaging in any other devotional activity, you are doing this 24/7. That's a beginning - to always carry something that reminds you, "I am a Krishna-Das."

beautifull !!

but i can not imagine that SOON RECEIVED A JAPA MALA ONE CAN IF OFFERING wash it in all those stuff, nectarines and milks. maybe a ritual devotional offering with all considerarion, is this necesary?

superficialy, the mala would resist all this mixses?

thank you is nice to hear this i was questioninng my self by.

hari bol.

Haribol Raga,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have not made enough posts yet under this user-id to be able to reply to your private email. I shall ask the senior devotees at the Coventry temple UK where I attend for advice on what to do.

I will offer my Tulsi mala neck beads on my altar and ask Lord Krishna to accept them and bless them until then, and then not take them off unless I absolutely have to. I have no easy access to five substances of the cow!

Perhaps K.C temple shops and websites should not sell Tulsi mala without this information, as innocent but ignorant persons such as myself could cause offence?

What about Tulsi Japa counting beads? Should these first be offered to the Lord as well before use?

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada

Hare Krishna

Mark

Guest guest

is it better not to wear Tulsi neck beads when still trying to overcome the 4 regualtive principles. Im only following 3 currently. I used to wear neckbeads but decided to take it off as in my mind I feel like I am making an offence due to my situation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks alot

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Hari bole

Thank you

Guest guest

Hi

I'd appreciate some explanations of the above mala purification and offering rites.

How is pancamrit and pancgavya prepared exactly? Any rules about the container (type of metal etc), is the cow dung diluted in water, what are the specific proportions ( 20% of each ingredient or something else), are there some rules in making the mixture like using of mantras, mudras etc?

Is it poured on he mala from the conch or the container or something else?

Can a normal water after invoking the rivers with the specific mantra and mudra in them be used instead of the gangajal or water from other holy rivers.?

Thanks

People offer pancamrita and panca-gavya in a number of ways. The gist of it is in having the right ingredients there. There are also specific vidhis on the proportions in Hari-bhakti-vilasa for different sizes of abhisekas. Sadhus I am familiar with seem to prefer using an equal proportion of each, but with less of ghee than of the rest.

The sequence of pancamrita-bathing is:

1. pāyaḥ-snāna (milk bath)

2. dadhi-snāna (yoghurt bath)

3. ghṛta-snāna (ghee bath)

4. madhu-snāna (honey bath)

5. śarkarā-snāna (sugar-water bath)

This is followed by varuṇa-snAna, the bath of the god of waters, which means bathing with abundant water.

Yes, you can pour them in from a container. The essence here is not worship of the mala as in the pancamrita-abhiseka of the deity, the essence is in contacting and thereby purifying the mala via contact with these ingredients.

You can use different mudras on them before the ceremony -- chakra-mudra, samhara-mudra, matsya-mudra and dhenu-mudra for example. There are also different practices with this, the gist being -- 1. Mudras for purification from faults, 2. Mudra(s) for transforming into nectar.

On preparing sacred water: Pour clean water into the pañca-pātra from a jug full of fresh water. Showing the aṅkuśa-mudrā above the vessel, invoke the presence of the tirthas with the following mantra:

gaṅge ca yamune caiva godāvari sarasvati /

narmade sindho-kāveri jale’smin sannidhiṁ kuru // hbv 4.102

“Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Sarasvati, Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri; I invoke your waters.”

If sacred water is already available directly from a tīrtha, the sacred rivers need not be invoked. The water should be free from odor, foam and bubbles. Rain water should not be used.

I've never seen jaggery used in place of sugar, though I am myself fond of using natural brown sugars.

Thank you very much for your answer. I have not made enough posts yet under this user-id to be able to reply to your private email. I shall ask the senior devotees at the Coventry temple UK where I attend for advice on what to do.

I will offer my Tulsi mala neck beads on my altar and ask Lord Krishna to accept them and bless them until then, and then not take them off unless I absolutely have to. I have no easy access to five substances of the cow!

Perhaps K.C temple shops and websites should not sell Tulsi mala without this information, as innocent but ignorant persons such as myself could cause offence?

What about Tulsi Japa counting beads? Should these first be offered to the Lord as well before use?

Mark - sorry for not replying earlier, I didn't receive any notification of new posts to this thread. You have done well in offering the beads. Don't worry about the absence of panca-gavya -- yes they may be a bit hard to come by in the West!

Yes, this information should be conveyed when giving / selling a tulasi-mala, but this is unfortunately not very widely know. Many gurus, even, are totally unaware of the need to offer the beads first.

You don't need to separately offer the counting beads -- though you can dip them in sacred water before attaching to your mala. If you have the counter beads at hand when you're doing the mala-samsara, you can of course drop them into the pancamrita, that is good -- but the rest of the rite needn't be done to them.

is it better not to wear Tulsi neck beads when still trying to overcome the 4 regualtive principles. Im only following 3 currently. I used to wear neckbeads but decided to take it off as in my mind I feel like I am making an offence due to my situation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks alot

Hare Krishna

Keep them on and let them be a reminder for you of the need to observe the rest of the principles. As long as you do not treat the neck beads with disrespect, there is no problem in wearing them.

Guest guest

The sequence of pancamrita-bathing is:

1. pāyaḥ-snāna (milk bath)

2. dadhi-snāna (yoghurt bath)

3. ghṛta-snāna (ghee bath)

4. madhu-snāna (honey bath)

5. śarkarā-snāna (sugar-water bath)

Thank you

And what about panchdicvya ?

Panchamrita is also sometimes defined as a mix of 5 ingredients, so I had the impression one has to mix this together and than use it as a single preparation.

How is ghee to be used (as it is too dense) and maybe honey too? Diluted in water perhaps?

And Cow dung?

Are these considered prasad (like after worshiping deities)?

And what about panchdicvya ?

You would use that as a mixture in this case.

Panchamrita is also sometimes defined as a mix of 5 ingredients, so I had the impression one has to mix this together and than use it as a single preparation.

Yes -- both are in practice. Some also do first all the ingredients individually, and then last with a mixture of all five.

You are right however, here one would use them as a mixture. The individual use would only be there in worshiping a deity.

How is ghee to be used (as it is too dense) and maybe honey too? Diluted in water perhaps?

Warm up the ghee a bit right before use. Use liquid honey, there are many different varieties of honey. In India, we actually rarely get anything but the more liquid kind.

And Cow dung?

You can dilute it with water.

Are these considered prasad (like after worshiping deities)?

Since in mala-samskara they are primarily used as a means of purification, they do not attain the same status as the caranamrita of the deity.