IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Unity in Perversity, dealing with differences and schism through dialogue

Rate this topic

Unity In Perversity

by Urvashi Patel

Posted May 3, 2006

I recently read a report on Chakra about the GBC meetings in Mayapur ( Click Here ). What struck me most was Jayadvaita Swami's presentation entitled "Unity in Perversity", a report on schisms within religious movements and particularly within ISKCON. Maharaja stressed that we should deal with differences and schism through dialogue rather than in a negative and combative way.

I especially found Maharaja's ten recommendations brilliant and courageous. It is worth reading them again:

1.) Recognize that post-charismatic dilemmas are an inevitable part of ISKCON's existence.

2.) Recognize that efforts to shut down or drive out dissenters-while sometimes perhaps required or inevitable-have only limited effectiveness, and may sometimes backfire.

3.) Recognize the value of the diversity of views among ISKCON members, on all sorts of issues.

4.) Continue to support and encourage ISKCON Resolve and the ombuds and mediation services it offers.

5.) Encourage "safety-valve institutions" - that is, opportunities for members to raise issues and blow off steam (such as the GBC open door sessions).

6.) In response to competition, recognize that combative responses alone are likely to fail without improvements in your "product, marketing, and customer service."

7.) Recognize that the appearance of "competition" within ISKCON, for example, two seemingly competing temples in one region, may serve to promote rather than hinder the spread of Krsna consciousness.

8.) Recognize the post-charismatic phase some groups are entering and how that is likely to affect its members.

9.) Vigorously explore opportunities for reconciliation. 10.) Take advantage of opportunities to learn more from conflict theory, the sociology of organizations, and the history and sociology of religion.

"Maharaja stressed that we should deal with differences and schism through dialogue rather than in a negative and combative way."

if he really thinks like that, why on earth would he title his presentation unity in perversity???? to me it looks like a very negative approach (they are the perverts, but we will work with them, so they may reform):deal:

Also the fact that he is one of the people who attacks those with other view points... his classes are mostly political: speaking against ritviks, against those who say we didn't fall from vaikuntha, speaking against those who do food for life, speaking against those who sing anything except prabhupada's original hare krishna tune. Those who have listened to him know what is written above is meaningless.

"Maharaja stressed that we should deal with differences and schism through dialogue rather than in a negative and combative way."

if he really thinks like that, why on earth would he title his presentation unity in perversity???? to me it looks like a very negative approach (they are the perverts, but we will work with them, so they may reform):deal:

I dont understand what the title means, I done a search and in some places the title is advertised as "unity and perversity" which makes a little more sense than "unity in perversity".

Radhe Krishna,

jndasji, I am not a member of ISKCON. But still I very much admire the steps taken by them for propogating krishna bhakthi. I do not know about jayadwaja or any of the quarrels going on ISKCON. But I am sure abot one thing. Any problem blown out of proportion from or within ISKCON would be a very very big loss for propogation of krishna bhakthi. Although, I do not agree with many concepts of ISKCON from the yardsticks of my smarta sampradaya, propagation of krishna bhakthi partakes everything else. And I feel ISKCON has a dutiful responsibility of preserving, studying and practicing the gaudiya grantha sagaraa. All the granthas composed by the six goswami sishyas of chaitanya mahaprabhu - I feel ISKCON as an organisation should preserve and propogate them with their resources. These granthas should be passed on generations after generations. I could not but simply pray god that he develops Atmagunas in all the krishna bhakthas. I very strongly feel without Atmagunas one can never reach the lotus feet of God. And the lack of these would be the root cause of every conflict.

Radhe Krishna

I dont understand what the title means, I done a search and in some places the title is advertised as "unity and perversity" which makes a little more sense than "unity in perversity".

the title is obviously a spoof if the commonly used slogan "unity in diversity". Jayadvaita Maharaja is pretty good at using language to make his point and the title of this presentation is no exception (and it is "Unity in Perversity")

Guest guest

The title doesn't mean anything. Its just a silly play on the phrase "Unity in Diversity". But that wasn't clever, so he put in a different word that rhymes with diversity. Unfortunately, it doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Instead, it conveys an immature approach to the subject suggesting he doesn't really mean what he is saying. Perversity? We'll all be unified in our perversity? Whatever.