IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Whitelotus019

Altar for Sri Krsna.

Rate this topic

Hari bole!

I don't have an altar in my home because my parents still consume non vegietarian dishes and I am waiting untill I move into my own apartment one day to get one. I know the most important thing in increasing krsna

consciousness is chanting as much as I can but what I wanted to know is ..Should I still set up an altar? Because since I dont have one I attend temple twice a week. Is it a sin not to have one in the house? Please reply.

Thank you

Guest guest

i live at my mother and she is a meat eater, but i have an altar with a murti, i cant live any where without a murti and a altar, i make veggie food for Krsna.. and my Guru has been here and said nothing bout it more then if my mother cooks and wanna give me or devoutees food, she gonna cook the food for the Lord and not taste the food etc.. cook like a devoutee.. so i dont see anything wrong with u having a altar, aslong ur parents dont violate the altar..

White Lotus,

It is nice to hear you are going to set up a small altar. Along with your pictures of Radha and Krsna, I would like to encourage you to buy a small set of Gaura-Nitai murti's from your temple gift shop also. They are so simple to worship. Offer a little vegeatarian food, and chant Hare Krsna before Them.

Even by just seeing Them in your room you will make wonderful spiritual advancement.

I have posted the following conversation with Srila Prabhupada, Feb 2nd 1977.

I thought it may be of interest to you.

Yugadharma: I had one more other scheme with Dhananjaya dasa from Vrindavan. Dhananjaya is making with this Spanish devotee who’s staying, making... I have just seen last week these beautiful, beautiful Gaura-Nitai murti, these Gaura-Nitäi Deities that he is making. They are casting them in Vrindavana, and they are very, very beautiful. And Dhananjaya has told me that you have encouraged him to sell murtis in the United States.

Prabhupada: Yes.

Yugadharma: I would like to do also, set a large business up if the prasadam...

Prabhupada: It will be very nice.

Satsvarupa: Oh.

Yugadharma: That would... Yes.

Prabhupada: So you teach them that before Gaura-Nitäi, let them chant Hare Krsna and take prasadam.

Yugadharma: Yes. I would like to do this in Laguna Beach on the highway.

Prabhupada: And if you do this, it will be great service, great service. They can take Gaura-Nitai at home. So let them offer vegetarian food to Gaura-Nitai and then take it. If you can introduce home to home, it will be great service.

Yugadharma: Because it is a very arty community. They are very interested in art there and bogus impersonalism. There seems to be a lack of enthusiasm in the grhasthas in Laguna Beach.

Prabhupada: No if they chant Hare Krsna Maha-mantra...

Yugadharma: What I would like to do is make you very happy by doing this.

Prabhupada: That is yajna.This is the way of delivering them: Let them worship Gaura-Nitai by chanting Hare Krsna maha-mantra or Sri Krsna Caitanya Prabhu Nityananda, if not two, but one, Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna, and let them take prasädam. These two things will make them advance very quickly, the spiritual life.

Yugadharma: Because they are very interested in these little figures.

Prabhupada: Yes. So if you can do that, it will be very nice.

Yugadharma: How about Radha-Krsna also?

Prabhupada: Radha-Krsna not now.

Yugadharma: Not now.

Prabhupada: No. When they have actually advanced and initiated and following strictly the Vaisnava principles, then Radha-Krsna. And Gaura-Nitai, they can worship in any condition.

Yugadharma: I would like also to comprise with Gaura-Nitai mürtis the very paka Indian artifacts.

Prabhupada: Yes.

Yugadharma: Very nice.

Prabhupada: Yes. That will if they keep Gaura-Nitai...

Yugadharma: Like nice chäïcas.(?)

Prabhupada: At least if they see and chant Hare Krsna that will make them advance. Chanting of Hare Krsna maha-mantra before Gaura-Nitai will make them very quickly advanced in spiritual consciousness. Very quickly. There is no offense. He does not take any offenses. Whatever little service they do, it is accepted by Gaura-Nitai. So if you can do this, it will be very nice. Let them at least keep Gaura-Nitai there in their room. They’ll see. That will be benefit. And if they offer little respect and offer prasadam and chant Hare Krsna, oh then what to...? It will be very nice. Otherwise, if they simply see the Gaura-Nitai pair, they will advance.

Yugadharma: Because there is no one actually doing this as far as I know on the Western part of that country.

Prabhupada: Therefore I have encouraged him to prepare Gaura-Nitai and nicely dress. They can be sold.

Hari bole

:)

Thank you so much for posting that converstaion I find it very very interesting and helpful.I appreciate you all take time to read and respond to my questions. I wanted to know a few things more ...If I do get a murti of Gauri-Nitai and I have to cook little vegetarian dishes for them is it ok to cook it in the same stove as my parents? Because the same stove is where they cook meat...?I know I will have to have seperate cookware but just let me know what to do before I get the murtis.And one more question I have is..where is a good place to have this altar in my home, because my apartment is very small?

Thank you

Guest guest

i have my altar in my room, nex to my bed, but dont have the altar so u have ur feets agains the Lord.. yes u can use the stove as long as u live at ur parents, i do.. nad my guru havent said anything bout it.. one have to do what one can when living with non-devoutees.. u cannot move, niether can i for the moment..

:) I know some devotees have their altar in their rooms but can a women have that also? I mean she has that time of the month and I do find that unclean? I don't really know but thank you for letting me know about the stove, I feel relieved :)

Regarding the murtis. Because of your situation living with people who eat meat, just be as practical as you can. I am sure Krsna will honor any sincere efforts on your behalf. Try not to make it a burden on your parents though.

Any small steps you make now will be great advancement for when the time is right and you are ready to have your own apartment.

Personally I would keep the altar in a place that both suits you and your parents. I would say in your room would be fine. Keep it in a place where you can see them, and worship them. Remember if you do get Gaura-Nitai murti's, just by seeing Them you will make great spiritual advancement. They are very merciful and do not take offences into consideration.

There is a nice purport by Srila Prabhupada in Caitanya Caritamrita adi lila ch.8 verse 31. found at http://vedabase.net/cc/adi/8/31/en

Try to learn about Gaura Nitai Tattva, and why it is beneficial to worship Them in the beginning of spiritual life. The above purport sheds much light on this.:)