IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

mahaekadasi?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

when is the mahaekadasi, that rectify all smaller ekadasis one have missed?

are it at ?

9 May 2006 Tu

Vyanjuli Mahadvadasi

or?

7 Jun 2006 We

Suddha Ekadasi

Guest guest

hare krishna,

all glories to sri guru and sri gaurnaga!!!

prabhu the ekadashi on 7th junw is nirjala ekadashi and thats the biggest of all.

all of us should fast on that day,coz it covers all the ekadashis of the year.

hari bol

What about Varuthini Ekadasi? Kamalasana Das in one of this threads mentioned the followings, any idea? If it is that important, when is it going to be?

Varuthini Ekadasi

Yudhisthira Maharaja said, "O Vasudeva, I offer my most humble obeisances unto You. Please now describe the Ekadasi of the dark fortnight of the month of Vaisakha [April-May], including its specific merits and influence."

Lord Sri Krsna replied, "O king, in this world and the next, the most auspicious and magnanimous Ekadasi is Varuthini Ekadasi, which occurs during the dark fortnight of the month of Vaisakha. Whoever observes a complete fast on this sacred day has his sins completely removed, obtains continuous happiness, and achieves all good fortune. Fasting on Varuthini Ekadasi makes even an unfortunate woman fortunate. Upon anyone who observes it, this Ekadasi bestows material enjoyment in this life and liberation after death. It destroys the sins of all and saves people from the miseries of rebirth.

"By observing this Ekadasi properly, King Mandhata was liberated. Many other kings also benefited from observing it-kings such as Maharaja Dhundhumara, in the Iksvaku dynasty, who became free from leprosy resulting from a curse Lord Siva had imposed as a punishment. Whatever merit one obtains by performing austerities and penances for ten thousand years is achieved by a person who observes Varuthini Ekadasi. The merit one achieves by donating a great amount of gold during a solar eclipse at Kuruksetra is gained by one who observes this Ekadasi fast. Indeed, he who observes this one Ekadasi with love and devotion certainly attains his goals in this life and the next. In short, this Ekadasi is pure and very enlivening and a destroyer of all sins.

"Better than giving horses in charity is giving elephants, and better than giving elephants is giving land. But better than giving land is giving sesame seeds, and better than that is giving gold. Still better than giving gold is giving food grains, for all the forefathers, demigods, and human beings become satisfied by eating grains. Thus there is no better charity than this in the past, present, or future.' Yet learned scholars have declared that giving away a young maiden in marriage to a worthy person is equal to giving food grains. Moreover, Sri Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, has said that giving cows in charity is equal even to giving food grains. Still better than all these charities is teaching spiritual knowledge to the ignorant. Yet all the merits one can attain by performing all these acts of charity are attained by one who fasts on Varuthini Ekadasi.

"One who lives off the wealth of his daughters suffers a hellish condition until the inundation of the entire universe, 0 Bharata. Therefore one should be especially careful not to use the wealth of his daughter. 0 best of kings, any householder who takes his daughter's wealth out of greed, who tries to sell his daughter, or who takes money from the man to whom he has given his daughter in marriage-such a householder becomes a lowly cat in his next life. Therefore it is said that whoever, as a sacred act of charity, gives in marriage a maiden decorated with various ornaments, and who also gives a dowry with her, obtains merit that cannot be described even by Citragupta, the chief secretary of Yamaraja in the heavenly planets. That very same merit, however, can easily be achieved by one who fasts on Varuthini Ekadasi.

"The following things should be given up on Dasami, the day before Ekadasi. eating on bell-metal plates, eating any kind of urad ddl, eating red lentils, eating chick-peas, eating kondo, eating spinach, eating honey, eating in another person's home, eating more than once, and sex. On Ekadasi itself one should give up the following: gambling, sports, sleeping during the daytime, betel nut and its leaf, brushing one's teeth, spreading rumors, faultfinding, talking to the spiritually fallen, anger, and lying. On Dvadasi, the day after Ekadasi, one should give up the following: eating on bell-metal plates, eating urad dal, red lentils, or honey, lying, strenuous exercise or labor, eating more than once, sex, shaving, smearing oil on one's body, and eating in another's home." Lord Sri Krsna continued, "Whoever observes Varuthini Ekadasi in this way becomes free from all sinful reactions and returns to the eternal, spiritual abode. One who worships Lord Janardana on this Ekadasi by staying awake throughout the night also becomes free from all his sins and attains to the spiritual abode. Therefore, 0 king, he who is frightened of his sins and their attendant reactions, and thus of death itself, must observe Varuthini Ekadasi by fasting very strictly. Finally, 0 noble Yudhisthira, he who hears or reads this glorification of the sacred Varuthini Ekadasi obtains the merit earned by donating one thousand cows in charity, and at last he returns home, to the abode of Lord Visnu."

Right Now !!

Hare Krsna - I am steel in the meedle of my fast - that´s all.

Am plannin passsing the night awaken / awaken.

now describe the Ekadasi of the dark fortnight of the month of Vaisakha [April-May], including its specific merits and influence."

(24 - Abril)

Guest guest

ok so the maha ekadasi is in june.. i heard this maha ekadasi covers ALL ekadasis one misset

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=920 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pageName colSpan=2>I think so you can read it.

Nirjala Ekadasi

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyText vAlign=top width=833><TABLE cellPadding=5 width=661 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=Ekadasi_text width=647>

Once Bhimasena, the younger brother of Maharaja Yudhisthira, asked the great sage Srila Vyasadeva, the I, grandfather of the Pandavas, if it is possible to return to the spiritual world without having observed all the rules and regulations of the Ekadasi fasts.

Bhimasena said, "0 greatly intelligent grandfather, my brother Yudhisthira, my dear mother Kunti, and my beloved wife Draupadi, as well as Arjuna, Nakula, and Sahadeva, fast completely on Ekadasi and strictly follow all the rules and regulations of that sacred day. Being very religious, they always tell me that I should also fast on that day. But, O grandfather, I tell them that I cannot live without eating, because hunger is unbearable to me. I give widely in charity and worship Sri Ke§ava properly, but I cannot fast on Ekadasi Please tell me how I can obtain the same result without fasting."

Hearing these words, Srila Vyasadeva replied, "If you want to go to the heavenly planets and avoid the hellish planets, you should indeed observe a fast on both the light and dark Ekadasis."

Bhima said, "O greatly intelligent grandfather, please listen to my plea. 0 greatest of munis, since I cannot live if I eat only once in a day, how can I possibly live if I fast completely? Within my stomach burns a special fire named vrka, the fire of digestion.' Only when I eat to my full satisfaction does the fire in my stomach become satisfied. 0 great sage, I might possibly be able to fast only once, so I beg you to tell me of an Ekadasi that includes all other Ekadasis. I shall faithfully observe that fast and hopefully still become eligible for liberation."

Srila Vyasadeva replied, "O king, you have heard from me about the various kinds of occupational duties, such as elaborate Vedic ceremonies. In the Kali-yuga, however, no one will be able to observe all these occupational duties properly. I shall therefore tell you how, at practically no expense, one can endure some small austerity and achieve the greatest benefit and resultant happiness. The essence of what is written in the Vedic literatures known as the Puranas is that one should not eat on either the dark- or light-fortnight Ekadasis. One who fasts on Ekadasi is saved from going to the hellish planets."

Hearing Vyasadeva's words, Bhimasena, the strongest of all warriors, became frightened and began to shake like a leaf on a banyan tree in a strong wind. The frightened Bhimasena said, "0 grandfather, what should I do? I am completely unable to fast twice a month throughout the year! Please tell me of the one fasting day that will bestow the greatest benefit upon me!"

Vyasadeva replied, "Without drinking even water, you should fast on the Ekadasi that occurs during the light fortnight of the month of Jyestha [May-June], when the sun travels in the sign of Gemini and Taurus. According to learned personalities, on this day one may bathe and perform acamana for purification. But while performing acamana one may drink only that amount of water equal to a drop of gold, or that amount which a single mustard seed can be immersed in. Only this amount of water should be placed in the palm, which one should form to resemble a cow's ear. If one drinks more water than this, he might as well have drunk wine.

"One must certainly not eat anything, for if he does so he breaks his fast. This rigid fast is in effect from sunrise on Ekadasi to sunrise on Dvadasi. If a person endeavors to observe this great fast very strictly, he easily achieves the results of observing all twenty-four Ekadasi fasts throughout the entire year.

"On Dvadasi. the devotee should bathe early in the morning. Then, according to the prescribed rules and regulations, and depending on his ability, he should give some gold and water to worthy brdhmanas. Finally, he should cheerfully honor prasadam with a brahmana.

"0 Bhimasena, one who can fast on this special Ekadasi in this way reaps the benefit of having fasted on every Ekadasi during the year. There is no doubt of this. O Bhima, now hear the specific merit one gets by fasting on this Ekadasi. The Supreme Lord Kesava, who holds a conch, disc, club, and lotus, personally told me, 'Everyone should take shelter of Me and follow My instructions.' Then He told me that one who fasts on this Ekadasi. without drinking water or eating, becomes free of all sinful reactions, and that one who observes the difficult nirjala fast on Jyestha-sukla Ekadasi. truly reaps the benefit of all other Ekadasi fasts.

"0 Bhimasena, in the Kali-yuga, the age of quarrel and hypocrisy, when all the principles of the Vedas will have been destroyed or greatly minimized, and when there will be no proper charity or observance of the ancient Vedic principles and ceremonies, how will there be any means of purifying the self? But there is the opportunity to fast on Ekadasi and become free of all one's past sins.

"0 son of Vayu, what more can I say to you? You should not eat during the dark and light Ekadasis, and you should even give up drinking water on the particularly auspicious day of Jyestha-sukla Ekadasi. 0 Vrkodara, whoever fasts on this Ekadasi receives the merits of bathing in all the places of pilgrimage, giving all kinds of charities, and fasting on all the dark and light Ekadasis, Of this there is no doubt. 0 tiger among men, whoever fasts on this Ekadasi. truly becomes a great person and achieves all wealth, grains, strength, and health. And at the fearful moment of death, the terrible Yamadutas, whose complexions are yellow and black and who brandish huge clubs and twirl mystic pass ropes in the air, will refuse to approach him. Rather, such a faithful soul will at once be taken to the supreme abode of Lord Visnu by the Visnudutas, whose transcendentally beautiful forms are clothed in gorgeous yellowish garments and who each hold a disk, club, conch, and lotus in their four hands. It is to gain all these benefits that one should certainly fast on this very important Ekadasi, even from water."

When the other Pandavas heard about the benefits to be gained by following Jyestha-sukla Ekadasi. they resolved to observe it exactly as Srila Vyasadeva had explained it to their brother, Bhimasena. All the Pandavas observed it by refraining from eating or drinking anything, and thus this day is known as Pandavanirjala Dvadagi.

Srila Vyasadeva continued, "0 Bhima, therefore you should observe this important fast to remove all your past sinful reactions. You should pray to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krsna, in this way: '0 Lord of all the demigods, 0 Supreme Personality of Godhead, today I shall observe Ekadasi without taking any water. 0 unlimited Ananta, I shall break fast on the next day, Dvadasi.' Thereafter, to remove all his sins, the devotee should honor this Ekadasi fast with full faith in the Lord and with full control of his senses. Whether his sins are equal in volume to Mount Sumeru or to Mandaracala Hill, if he or she observes this Ekadasi, the sins all become nullified and are burned to ashes. Such is the great power of this Ekadasi.

"0 best of human beings, although a person should also give water and cows in charity during this Ekadasi if for some reason or other he cannot, then he should give a qualified brBJzmana some cloth or a pot filled with water. Indeed, the merit achieved by giving water alone equals that gained by giving gold ten million times a day.

"0 Bhima, Lord Sri Krsna has said that whoever observes this Ekadasi should take a holy bath, give charity to a worthy person, chant the Lord's holy names on a japa-mala, and perform some kind of recommended sacrifice, for by doing these things on this day one receives imperishable benefits. There is no need to perform any other kind of religious duty. Observance of this Ekadasi fast alone promotes one to the supreme abode of Sri Visnu. 0 best of the Kurus, if one donates gold, cloth, or anything else on this day, the merit one obtains is imperishable.

"Remember, whoever eats any grains on Ekadasi becomes contaminated by sin and verily eats only sin. In effect, he has already become a dogeater, and after death he suffers a hellish existence. But he who observes this sacred Jyestha-sukla Ekadasi and gives something in charity certainly achieves liberation from the cycle of repeated birth and death and attains to the supreme abode. Observing this Ekadasi, which is merged with Dvadasi, frees one from the horrible sin of killing a brahmana, drinking liquor and wine, becoming envious of one's spiritual master and ignoring his instructions, and continually telling lies.

"Furthermore, O best of beings, any man or woman who observes this fast properly and worships the Supreme Lord Jalasayi [He who sleeps on the water], and who on the next day satisfies a qualified brahmana with nice sweets and a donation of cows and money-such a person certainly pleases the Supreme Lord Vasudeva, so much so that one hundred previous generations in his family undoubtedly go to the Supreme Lord's abode, even though they might have been very sinful, of bad character, and guilty of suicide. Indeed, one who observes this Ekadasi rides on a glorious celestial airplane [vimana] to that abode.

"One who on this day gives a brahmana a waterpot, an umbrella, or shoes surely goes to heaven. Indeed, he who simply hears these glories also attains to the transcendental abode of the Supreme Lord, Sri Visnu. Whoever performs the sraddha ceremony to the forefathers on the darkmoon day called amavasya, particularly if it occurs at the time of a solar eclipse, undoubtedly achieves great merit. But this same merit is achieved by him who simply hears this sacred narration-so powerful and so dear to the Lord is this Ekadasi.

"One should clean his teeth properly and, without eating or drinking, observe this Ekadasi to please the Supreme Lord, Kesava. On the day after Ekadasi one should worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead in His form as Trivikrama by offering Him water, flowers, incense, and a brightly burning lamp. Then the devotee should pray from the heart: '0 God of gods, 0 deliverer of everyone, 0 Hrsikesa, master of the senses, kindly bestow upon me the gift of liberation, though I can offer you nothing greater than this humble pot filled with water.' Then the devotee should donate the waterpot to a brahmana.

"0 Bhimasena, after observing this Ekadasi fast and donating the recommended items according to his ability, the devotee should feed brahmanas and thereafter honor prasadam silently."

Srila Vyasadeva concluded, "I strongly urge you to fast on this auspicious, purifying, sin-devouring Dvadasi in just the way I have outlined. Thus you will be completely freed of all sins and reach the supreme abode."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That website is wonderful!

Just a question, is there a "Super/Maha" ekadasi for ISKCON?

If there is one, is it the Nirjala one?

If in case nirjala is the 'super' ekadasi, is it because of post no. 6, or because of other reasons?

Thank-you

This SITE is absolutely wonderful. Plz do check it out. Lots of information on Ekadasi.

Seems that ekadasi should be followed strictly as per the rules and regulation laid by the scriptures.

Im a bit confused though about the Ekadasi which overlapped with Dasami. It is said to be very inauspicious (scroll till about middle page for explanation on Dasami) if one fast on that day.

I cannot understand why Lord Vishnu is seemingly so "harsh" on his devotees if they happen to even unknowingly(devotees not aware that fasting is prohibited on such ekadasi) fast on that particular ekadasi day (please refer to the above link). I cannot understand how a devotee who lovingly worship Lord Vishnu get so harsh result (loss of devotional service, take birth amongst devil and ghosts,etc) for workshiping HIM on that day(devotees not aware of the consequences of Dasami).

Ill appreciate if someone do help me to understand this.

Hare Krishna

ah ??**

I have had same question not regarding to a date.. but to the mood of the ekadasi tapah, i think guru had tried to explain to me also that -there are devil ways and Good mood wayz to perform.

I have heard thath when you did not folllow Guru´s mats, or the advice of a sanyasi one has to had a fast of one day, to settle the claim.

ahm, in that respect.. it refers to the moon rising and on, with the mood.

I don´t know neither what you are trying to say.

I cannot understand how a devotee who lovingly worship Lord Vishnu get so harsh result (loss of devotional service, take birth amongst devil and ghosts,etc) for workshiping HIM on that day

Lord Vishnu is very merciful, but yet what I cannot understand is why he is very "harsh" to his devotees if they(devotees) happen to fast on Ekadesi which overlap with dasami.

I know that it has been clearly stated not to fast on such day(And we should never fast on such day, I understand that completely), but still what about the devotees who worship Lord Vishnu with love and affection (on ekadesi which overlaps with dasami) but are UNAWARE about dasami? They are still "severely punished".This is what I cannot understand (Why the lord still "punishes" them so "harshly" even if these devotees have been worshiping him with love. The Merciful Lord knows that some devotees of him are UNAWARE of such inauspicious fasting, so why still this very "harsh punishment" even if these devotees have been worshiping HIM with love?)

My appologies if I have offended anyone. I have some confusion on this matter and would appreciate if someone can help.

The following quotes might help to understand what I mean:

EKADASI CA SAMPURNA VIDDHETI DVIVIDHA SMRTA

VIDDHA CA DVIVIDHA TATRA TYAJYA VIDDHA TU PURVAJA

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/199 from SIVA PURANA)

There are two divisions of Ekadasis - the complete Ekadasi and the overlapping Ekadasi. The overlapping Ekadasis are also divided into two - begin overlapping and end overlapping. The beginning overlapping should always be given up.

EKADASIM UPAVASED DVADASIM ATHAVA PUNAH

VIMISRAM VAPI KURVITA NA DASAMYA YUTAM KVACIT

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/202 from SAURA DHARMOTTARA)

Ekadasi and Dvadasi are both qualified for fasting. Furthermore, one should fast when Ekadasi is combined with Dvadasi, but one should never fast when Ekadasi is combined with Dasami.

NA UPOSYA DASAMI-VIDHA SADAIVA EKADASI TITHIH

SAMUPOSYA NARO JAHYAT PUNYAM VARSA SATODBHAVAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/205 from NARADA PURANA)

One should never fast on the days when Ekadasi is overlapped with Dasami. If one does so, looses whatever merit he had accumulated for one hundred years.

PURVAM TVAYA SABHARYENA DASAMI SESA SAMYUTA

KRTA CA EKADASI RAJAN TASYA IDAM KARANAM MATAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/211 from BRAHMA PURANA Maitreya speaks to Dhrtarastra in answer to his question as to why all of his 100 sons had been killed)

Oh king, previously, you, along with your wife, had fasted on an Ekadasi which was overlapped with Dasami day, therefore you are suffering the separation of all of your sons.

DASAMY EKADASIM PURVAM SAMUPOSYA JANARDANAH

ABHYARCITAS TVAYA DEVI TASYEDA KARMANAH PHALAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/214 from BRAHMA PURANA Valmiki Muni answered Mother Sita's questions of why she had been vanquished to the forest by Lord Rama)

Previously you had observed an Ekadasi fast which was overlapped with Dasami and worshiped Lord Sri Hari. This is the result which you are experiencing now.

DASAMI SESA SAMYUKTAM YAH KAROTI VIMUDHADHIH

EKADASI PHALAM TASYA NA SYAD DVADASA VARSIKAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/218 from KURMA PURANA, NARADA PURANA AND VISNU RAHASYA)

Those foolish persons who fast on Ekadasi which is mixed with Dasami, do not receive any result for performing Ekadasi fast for the past twelve years.

GANGODAKASYA SAMPURNAM YATHA TYAJYAM GHATAM BHAVET

SURAVINDU SAMYUKTAM TAT SARVAM MADYATAM VRJET

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/223 from BRAHMA VAIVARTA PURANA)

Just as a cup of Ganges water which has been mixed with a drop of wine is fit for giving up, in the same way an Ekadasi which has been minutely mixed with Dasami is fit for giving up.

VIDDHAM EKADASIM VIPRAS TYAJANTY ETAM MANISINAH

TASYAM UPOSITO YATI DARIDRYAM DUHKHAM EVA CA

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/226 from GARUDA PURANA)

Oh brahmanas, learned souls reject Ekadasis which are mixed with Dasami because they know that if they fast on this day, they will only get poverty and misery.

DVAPARANTE TU GANDHARI KURU VANSA VIVARDHINI

KARISYATI CA SENANI MUDHA BHAVAD SIKHI-DHVAJA

TENA PUTRA SATAM TASYA NASAM ISYATY ASAMSAYAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/228 from SKANDA PURANA)

Oh commander and chief of the demigods (Skanda) at the end of Dvapara-yuga, Gandhari, who will increase the Kuru dynasty by producing one hundred sons, due to bewilderment and madness will observe Ekadasi which will be mixed with Dasami. Due to this, her hundred sons will be destroyed. Of this, there is no doubt.

DASAMY EKADASI YATRA TATRA SANNIHITO'SURAH

DVADASY EKADASI YATRA TATRA SANNIHITO HARIH

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/230 from SKANDA PURANA)

The demons reside in any Ekadasi which is overlapped with Dasami and whoever fasts on this day achieves negative results. Lord Hari resides in any Ekadasi which is overlapped with Dvadasi. If someone observes fasting on this day, he receives complete results, which is proper.

YE SAMSANTI DINAM VISNOR DASAMI VEDHA DUSITAM

JNEYAS TE PAPA PURUSAH SUKRAMAYA-VIMOHITAH

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/234 from SKANDA PURANA conversation between Lord Siva and Uma devi)

Any person who fasts on Ekadasi which is contaminated by Dasami or makes somebody else fast, has been controlled and bewildered by Sukracarya, the spiritual master of the demons. This should be understood properly.

EKADASI DASAMI-VIDDHA DHANA SANTANA NASINI

DHVANSINI SARVA PUNYANAM KRSNA BHAKTI PRANASINI

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/239 from SKANDA PURANA)

Dvadasi or Ekadasi, if it overlaps Dasami, it ruins offspring of one who fasts on those days, ruins the merit of all time, takes away the devotional service to the Lord and gives him a birth among the devils or ghosts.

DASAMI SESA SAMYUKTAM NISIDDHAM VISNUNA PURA

TASMAD BHAGAVATAIR BHUPA SODHAYITVA HARER DINAM

UPOSITAVYAM YATNENA PURVA-SANGATI-VARJITAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/244 from SKANDA PURANA Markandeya Rsi speaks to King Bhagiratha)

Oh king, previously the Supreme Lord Visnu prohibited one to fast when the Ekadasi overlapped Dasami. Therefore, the devotees of the Supreme Personality of Godhead should endeavor to reject the Ekadasi which overlaps Dasami and observe a pure Ekadasi fast.

KURUTE VAISNAVO BHUTVA SA SALYAIKADASI VRTAM

JNANATO'JNANATO VAPI NA SA VISNU PRIYO BHAVET

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/246 from SKANDA PURANA)

Any Vaisnava who knowingly or unknowingly observes Ekadasi overlapped with Dasami should certainly understand that Lord Sri Visnu will not be happy with him.

TASMAD EKADASI YUKTA DASAMYA NARASATTAMA

NA KARTAVYA PRAYATNENA NISKALA DVADASI MATA

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/248 from SKANDA PURANA)

Therefore, O best among human being, it is not recommended to observe Ekadasi overlapped with Dasami. Great sages have recommended and stated to you to observe only pure Ekadasi fasts.

PUNYAM SUSANCITAM YATI KALPA KOTI SATA ARJITAM

SASALYAM YE PRAKURVANTI MUKTIDAM MAMA VASARAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/253 from DVARAKA MAHATMYA spoken by the Supreme Lord)

Any person who fasts on the liberating day of Mine, but which is mixed with Dasami, their collective merit for the past 100 cycles (one cycle equals 1000 yugas) is destroyed.

SAVIDDHAM VASARAM YASMAD KRTAM MAMA PITAMAHAIH

PRETATVAM TENA SAMPRAPTAM MAHA DUHKHA PRADAYAKAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/256 from DVARAKA MAHATMYA Sri Candra Sharma prays to the Supreme Lord)

Oh Supreme Personality of Godhead, my forefathers had observed the day of Lord Hari fast some time on the Dasami day. This is why they have achieved the form of ghost which is very miserable condition.

Srila Sanatana Gosvami remarks in his Digdarsini-tika: "Candra Sharma brahmana was a devotee of Lord Siva and was against the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna. Somehow, in a dream, he saw that his forefathers had achieved the form of ghosts due to observing fasting on the overlapping day of Ekadasi and Dasami. Then he was advised by a devotee of the Lord to go to Dvaraka near the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He worshiped Him and prayed to Him to please free his forefathers from their devilish condition. The Lord then freed them because of his prayers."

SUKRENA MOHITA VIPRA DAITYANAM KARANENA TU

PUSTY ARTHAM DASAMI VIDDHAM KURVANTI MAMA VASARAM

VASARAM DASAMI VIDDHAM DAITYANAM PUSTI-VARDHANAM

MADIYAM NASTI SANDEHAH SATYAM SATYAM PITAMAHA

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/257,258 from PADMA PURANA the Supreme Lord speaks to Lord Brahma)

The Supreme Personality of Godhead said, "O Brahma, the brahmana bewildered by the illusion created by Sukracarya fasts on the Dasami mixed Ekadasi to enhance the strength of demons. My day (Ekadasi) influenced by Dasami day increases the strength of demons. I repeatedly and truthfully say this. Of this there is no doubt."

YAVAD DASAMYA SAMYUKTAM KARISYANTI DINAM MAMA

TAT PUNYAM DAITYA JATINAM SURAIR DATTAM PITAMAHA

TEHA PUNYENA SAMPUSTO HIRANYAKSAH PITAMAHA

NIRJITYA VASAVAM SANKHYE HRTAM RAJYAM DIVAUKASAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/259,260 from PADMA PURANA conversation between the Supreme Lord and Lord Brahma)

O Grandfather of the world, as long as somebody fasts on Ekadasi mixed with Dasami, the demigods extend their merits to the demons. Therefore the demon Hiranyaksa became strong due to that merit and defeated Indra in the battle and usurped the kingdom of the demigods.

PURNA VIDDHAM UPASTE KO NANDAM VEDA BALAD API

KO VEDA VACANAT TATA GOSAVE GAM NIHANTI VAI?

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/268 from BHAVISYA PURANA and MARKANDEYA PURANA)

Oh son, after knowing the instruction about fasting on Dasami, who is that person who would like to fast on the Ekadasi which overlaps Dasami? Who would be those persons, after hearing Vedic instructions, who would kill cows in the name of worshiping cows?

SUPUNYA EKADASI SUTA YADI SALYA VIVARJITA

KARTUR NIRAYA PATAYA SASALYA SAMUPOSITA

SALYAM VEDHA ITI PROKTAM PURANARTHA VICAKSANAIH

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/270 from KURMA PURANA and BRAHMA VAIVARTA PURANA Srila Vyasadeva speaks to Suta Gosvami)

Oh Suta Gosvami, if somebody strictly observes a pure Ekadasi which is not mixed with Dasami, it is all auspicious. If Ekadasi is mixed with Dasami and is observed, then the observer who is fasting will fall into the hellish planets. Therefore, the learned people, the knowers of Vedic literatures have determined this fasting to be improper.

DVAYOR VIVADATOH SRUTVA DVADASIM SAMUPOSAYET

PARANANTU TRAYODASYAM ESA SASTRA VINIRNAYAH

DVADASI DASAMI YUKTA YATA SASTRE PRATISTHITA

NA TAT SASTRAM AHAM MANYE YADI BRAHMA SVAYAM VADET

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 12/277,278 from KURMA PURANA Srila Vyasadeva speaks to Suta Gosvami)

If there are two people arguing and due to that argument and unsteady opinions the exact date of Ekadasi cannot be determined, then hearing this, one should fast on Dvadasi day and break fast on Trayodasi. This is the scriptural instruction. If any scripture recommends to observe Ekadasi mixed with Dasami, even if Lord Brahma is the writer of that scripture, I (Vyasadeva) do not accept it.

Hari bol