IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Shivam

Is It Offenseful to Chant Om Namah Sivaya infront of Gaura-Nitai?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

why would it be offensive? Lord Shiva is a devotee of Krishna.

But instead of thinking about it in that sense, why are you not chanting Gaura-Nitai?

Lord Shiva will be pleased with your service to Krishna instead of unto Him.

Yes Lord Shiva will be pleased with your devotion to Lord Krsna! :)

Shiva loves Krsna immeasurably! So does Krsna loves Shiva immeasurably!

Also, you may chant Om Namah Shivaya in front of Lord Shiva's image or a shiva Linga! Krisna will be pleased too! :)

why would it be offensive? Lord Shiva is a devotee of Krishna.

But instead of thinking about it in that sense, why are you not chanting Gaura-Nitai?

Lord Shiva will be pleased with your service to Krishna instead of unto Him.

Why would you chant om namah shivaya in front of Gour Nitai?

Because Prabhu, I also have a Shiv-linga underneath my mother's Gaura-Nitai that she keeps nicely. I did not know if this was an offense or not, so I asked.

Guest guest

gaura nitai have specifically come to give you the hare krsna mahamantra...

they will be pleased if you accept!!

within this one mantra is the potency of ALL other mantras...even those not known in this material world...it is krsna himself

Prabhupada:"there is no difference in chanting hare krsna and seeing krsna face to face...simply, one has to realise..."

Nitai gour premanade...haribol!!!

Because Prabhu, I also have a Shiv-linga underneath my mother's Gaura-Nitai that she keeps nicely. I did not know if this was an offense or not, so I asked.

If you have a shivalinga then there is nothing wrong with worshippig him or chanting prayers to him. It sounded as though you wanted to just sit in front of Gaur Nita and chant om namo shivaya. :)

Is this an offense ?

Hare Krsna

Sri Caitanya Mangala

Madhya-khanda

Why did Lord Caitanya Accept Śiva Prasada

Once Damodara Pandita asked Murari Gupta, "Murari, why did Lord Caitanya

accept the nirmalya [prasada] of Lord Śiva? According to a curse of Bhrgu Muni,

Śiva's prasada is not acceptable. Yet why did Gauranga accept it? Mahaprabhu is

Himself the Lord of the brahmanas. So, why did He violate the Vedic injunctions?

Hare Kṛṣṇa Hare Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa Hare Hare || Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

The glories of Harihara 62

Murari Gupta said, "Listen, Damodara. How can I know the mind of the Lord? I'll answer you according to my understanding. If you find it acceptable, then take it

into your heart. If someone differentiates between Hari [Krsna} and Hara [Śiva] when he worships Lord Śiva, and therefore refuses to accept Śiva's prasada, he Commits an offense and suffers the curse of Bhrgu Muni.

"Why? Because his consciousness is contaminated. He doesn't understand the

glories of Lord Śiva. But he who accepts both Hari and Hara as one, and faithfully

accepts Śiva's prasada becomes beloved to both Lord Krsna and Śiva.

"One certainly pleases Lord Śiva with his food offerings, if he remembers that Lord

Śiva is the greatest Vaisnava. One becomes free from material bondage by taking

such remnants. Actually, when Lord Śiva saw Lord Caitanya taking his darsana, he

joyfully accepted Gauranga as his guest.

"The curse of Bhrgu is meant for materialists devoid of Krsna consciousness. If

someone worships Lord Śiva in a friendly mood, he certainly develops his love for

Śri Krsna. Śri Gauranga Mahaprabhu came to teach the proper path of perfection

for people in general ."

Damodara Pandita said, "Murari, you have kindly removed all my misgivings, and

made everyone else happy too."

Thus Locana Dasa describes the transcendental pastimes of Śri Caitanya

Mahaprabhu.

Radhe Krishna,

jndasji, the question of offence could be decided from the angle u look into the matter. If shri shivam is a practicing gaudiya vaishnava, then his acharyas or those who have mastery in gaudiya granthas are the proper people to decide upon this issue.

From my point of view, as a smartha, although there is no offense, there is certainly lack of dedication. I am sorry to say this shivam. by this way u r neither a dedicated shiva bhaktha nor a dedicated krishna bhaktha. Ur whole life would be insufficient for u to go through Shrimad Bhagavatham, Bhagavath Geetha and a whole lot of Gaudiya sampradaya grantha ratnas like Brhad Bhagavatha kathamrutham, Ujjwala Neelamani, Gopala Champu, Hari Bhakthi Vilasam, Bhakthi Rasamrutha Sindhu, Lalitha Madhavam, Vidagdha Maadhavam, Shat Sandarba - ..... ..... The list is endless. I dont understand as to how u can even deviate from these amrutha saagara.

My humble advice would be instead of spending time on seeing TV serial,(Even bhakthi based) U may better spend quality time in Sat sangha.

Radhe Krishna.

Why would you chant om namah shivaya in front of Gour Nitai?

Why would you not? The Lord is everywhere around us so what is the harm of chanting Om Namah Shivai in front of Krsna?

This is not meant to cause offence but it is very disapointing to read some people telling others that they are wrong for chating Lord Shivas holy name. This is not what Sanatan Dharma is about and we are forgetting the basic principles of our great way of life.

People must be educated in understanding the glories of the Supreme; therefore the devotees who engage in preaching the glories of the Lord are never to be decried. It is the greatest offense. Furthermore, the holy name of Visnu is the most auspicious name, and His pastimes are also nondifferent from the holy name of the Lord. There are many foolish persons who say that one can chant Hare Krsna or chant the name of Kali or Durga or Siva because they are all the same. If one thinks that the holy name of the Supreme Personality of Godhead and the names and activities of the demigods are on the same level, or if one accepts the holy name of Visnu to be a material sound vibration, that is also an offense. [sB 3.15.25, purport]

(21) One should not eulogize or praise anyone else before the Deity [Nectar of Devotion, chapter 8 Offenses to Be Avoided]

The fact is one should not keep Shiva Linga on the same altar as the Supreme Lord - it's ok to have and to serve [only for more bhakti to Krishna] but one should be carfull not to make this offense.

I believe that it's only on the respective feast days - Shiva ratri and Durgu puja - shall we find murtis of these Servants of the Lord - on the altar with the Lord.

We keep our 'Shiva altar' on the TV - a good place - thus a reminder that He is in charge of the mode of ignorance :rolleyes:

Devotee: Srila Prabhupada, in Winnipeg there is one very pious east Indian man who for many years has been worshiping somewhat, worshiping Lord Siva. And his wife is also a very quite chaste woman and sincere follower—and so were her parents—of Lord Siva. And he is reading your Bhagavad-gita. He visits our temple. And I have given him the first volume of Canto Four which discusses Lord Siva a great deal. And he has read in one of your purports that Krishna is more pleased when you worship His devotee than when you worship Him directly. And Lord Siva is a very great devotee of Krishna. So he has now interpreted that to mean that if he worships Lord Siva so nicely, then actually he is pleasing Krishna more. So he is experiencing some difficulty because of this and I'm not quite sure how to instruct him that actually...

Prabhupada: Difficulty?

Brahmananda: That... Our Godbrother has difficulty in replying to this interpretation that Krishna says, "You can please Me by worshiping My devotee," and Lord Siva is the devotee of Krishna. So therefore this man says, "Then I shall worship Lord Siva. In that way I shall please Krishna."

Prabhupada: But if he accepts Lord Siva is devotee of Krishna, then by worshiping Lord Siva he will be benefited. If he thinks Lord Siva is independent, then he will not be benefited.

Devotee (3): I've got him to accept that Lord Siva is devotee of Krishna, but there's no practical instruction in his worldly activities coming.

Prabhupada: No, vaishnavanam yatha sambhuh: "Amongst the Vaishnavas, Sambhu, Lord Siva, is the greatest Vaishnava." So we worship Lord Siva as Vaishnava. We gives respect to Vaishnavas. So why not Lord Siva? Lord Siva is a big Vaishnava. But generally, the devotees of Lord Siva, they take Lord Siva is independent God. That is offensive. If you know that Lord Siva is also a devotee, you can give more respect to Lord Siva. Krishna will be pleased.

Devotee (3): Srila Prabhupada, he does not chant Hare Krishna, he chants om sivaya namah.

Prabhupada: That's all right.

Devotee (3): It's all right?

Prabhupada: He will gradually become devotee. When God, Lord Siva, will be pleased upon him, he will advise to worship.

Devotee (3): He is already trying to tell him to follow in your footsteps surely, so just before I left he said he will try once again to chant sixteen rounds of japa, Hare Krishna. He has tried already. He has a taste for...

Prabhupada: If he simply understands that Lord Siva is a Vaishnava and if he worships Lord Siva, then he will get the benefit.

Radhe krishna,

I have posted the reply at a wrong thread. i dont know how to edit it. however let me repost it here.

Radhe Krishna,

Shri sathya, Radhe krishna, please understand that the topic of discussion is under Gaudiya sampradaya. What is correct and not correct as such here is supposed to be measured as per the yardsticks laid down under Gaudiya sampradaya.

Even under smartha sampradaya to which I belong, where we do Panchayatana pooja daily as nithya karma ( a karma performed as per Bhagavath Agnya as nishkamya karma with out any manokamna), the worship is performed with all ritual sincereties. But again when it comes to Upasana one should be steadfast. My father who is no more was a shaktha upasaka and he was so dedicated that from morning till night he was engaged either in Gayathri japa or Shodasakshari japa or reading of Durga Sapthasathi or Soundarya lahari. The topic of discussion whenever he happens to make with anyone would be shaktha upasana and nothing else. I am under Radha krishna upasana. The interest and dedication which i am blessed by Guru and Radha Krishna Yugala - From morning till night my mind is preocuupied with Shrimad Bhagavatham and Radha Krishna Yugala. It does not at all mean that I have disrespect for devathanthara. But my deep dedication for my upasya devatha. Whether it is dhyana, yoga, Atmavichara or Bhakthi - What is very badly required is focussed single minded dedication. Even if i go to shiva temple what i pray before the lord is - bless me with more dedication in my bhakthi. At a time a person can not focus his mind in the upasana of more than one deity. Even Rama krishna paramahamsa who did upasana of many deities - u should remember that at any one point of time - he did upasana of only one deity. That is because upasana very badly requires focus and dedication and no obstacle by way of distraction. If my views in any way offend u sathya pl pardon me.

jndasji, Radhe Krishna, I feel although this should not have been ur intention a short reply for a deep subject, looked a curt reply

Radhe Krishna

Kamalasana Das, namaste.

Gopala mantra from Brahma Samhita and Gopala Tapani Upanisad seem to differ form the one in your signature.

See:

Sri Brahma Samhita, 5.24

"Then the goddess of learning Sarasvatī, the divine consort of the Supreme Lord, said thus to Brahmā who saw nothing but gloom in all directions, "O Brahmā, this mantra, viz., klīḿ kṛṣṇāya govindāya gopī-jana-vallabhāya svāhā, will assuredly fulfill your heart's desire."

Purport by Bhaktisiddhanta Swami

The mantra, consisting of the eighteen divine letters prefixed by the kāma-bīja, is alone superexcellent. It has a twofold aspect. One aspect is that it tends to make the pure soul run after all-attractive Śrī Kṛṣṇa, the Lord of Gokula and the divine milkmaids. This is the acme of the spiritual tendency of jīvas. When the devotee is free from all sorts of mundane desires and willing to serve the Lord he attains the fruition of his heart's desire, viz., the love of Kṛṣṇa. But in the case of the devotee who is not of unmixed aptitude this superexcellent mantra fulfills his heart's desire also. The transcendental kāma-bīja is inherent in the divine logos located in Goloka; and the kāma-bīja pervertedly reflected in the worldly affairs satisfies all sorts of desires of this mundane world.

Also, take a look at Gopala Tapani Upanisad.

namaste

There is, many mantras about the gopal mantras.. i think.

ALso have seen but never that thank you is a superexcelent mantra, but first the Guru shall speek it on-to the Right side ear to his disciple´s ear.

After being receiving iniciation, and hari-nama iniciation, then the dsciple shall hear the acme formula, jeje trough the Gurus - grace.

If you can kinddly PM me this in a perfect mood to my inbox, it is interesting

I am now readding the harinama maha mantra iniciation booklet, it is nice all about the holy names.

I been entering static moods i can not even imagine whats on from now this.

Gopala tapani upanisad.

Allright namaste servant------ :eek3:

I have heard at it when it is spoken to Gopa Kumar, and now Brahmä, Interesting.

There is, many mantras about the gopal mantras.. i think.

ALso have seen but never that thank you is a superexcelent mantra, but first the Guru shall speek it on-to the Right side ear to his disciple´s ear.

After being receiving iniciation, and hari-nama iniciation, then the dsciple shall hear the acme formula, jeje trough the Gurus - grace.

If you can kinddly PM me this in a perfect mood to my inbox, it is interesting

I am now readding the harinama maha mantra iniciation booklet, it is nice all about the holy names.

I been entering static moods i can not even imagine whats on from now this.

Gopala tapani upanisad.

Allright namaste servant------ :eek3:

I have heard at it when it is spoken to Gopa Kumar, and now Brahmä, Interesting.

There are lots of references to Gopala mantra, as the highest of mantras of them all, in various sastras:

- Brahma samhita

- Sri Hari Bhakti Vilasa

- Gopala Tapani Upanishad

- Sri Brhad bhagavatamritam

- etc...

Run a search for these texts, you can get most of them for free...

hari bol

Radhe Krishna,

Radhe Krishna

I am a smartha brahmin doing panchaayatana puja daily. But as far as upasana is concerned, one can do upasana of only one deity. U cant chant panchakshari as well as be a krishna upasana. It is not the question of right or wrong. As such no sin is committed as from our yardstick. But this strongly implies lack of dedication to ur upasya devatha.

Radhe Krishna