IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
RIFamily

What Color Is Ramachandra?

Rate this topic

Posted Image</p>

Hi,

I am currently reading the Ramayana of Valmiki, and have noted in many places that Rama is described as being dark, "blue-ish", cloud like, in color. However, in my copy of the Bhagavad Gita As It Is, Ramachandra is shown having green skin.

I went looking in various works of Srila Praphupada, and can find no specific description of Rama's color, or why he would be painted with a green skin tone.

What I did find is the following:

&#8220;In the four yugas&#8212;Satya, Tretä, Dväpara and Kali&#8212;the Lord incarnates in four colors: white, red, black and yellow respectively. These are the colors of the incarnations in different millenniums.

-- Madhya 20.330

The yugas are known as Satya-yuga, Treta-yuga, Dvapara-yuga and Kali-yuga. The incarnations of each yuga are of different color. The colors are white, red, black and yellow. In the Dvapara-yuga, Lord Krsna in black color appeared, and in the Kali-yuga Lord Caitanya in yellow color appeared.

--Purport Srimad Bhagavatam 1.3.5

Given that Rama did not advent in the Dvapara yuga, how can he be even described as being like a blue lotus (much less green)?

What color IS Ramachandra? Thanks for your help!

That site is as yet incomplete, as it hasn't yet finished translating the later skandhas.

I also do not think that it is a very good translation, because according to that translation, Sri Rama ate meat while living in the forest!

I discussed the offending verses with members of the Dvaita mailing-list, and got my doubts cleared. It was clear that the site had mistranslated certain words that gave the impression that Sri Rama ate meat when in fact He did not.

It is these misconceptions that give fuel to anti-Hindu debates that appear on pro-Islamic websites, etc etc etc...

Hi,

Thanks for the link (and the corrected URL!) I did go to the site, but did not see any reference to Sri Rama's different colors. Within the Ramayana itself, Rama is described as "dark", "blue", "cloud like" in color. It would be very helpful if a more precise reference could be found relative to His green coloring.

Thanks.