IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

why do hindu women get their noses pierced?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

for what reason? is it an spirrtual thing im very interested in it and also curious so if you could help me i'd be very greatful

Guest guest

I guess Indian women pierce their nose because it creates an aesthetic appeal. It highlights the nose which is positioned in the central part of the face, and resolves a balance to the face structure.

Manu suggests that only married women ought to wear a nose pin, nose ring because it is a symbol of "purity and marriage"(pundit ravi).

But, it is also believed that metals such as gold, silver help the body's immune system and certain piercings perform the role of acupressure and acupuncture to maintain blood flow and pressure.

Maybe, this link should be of some help: http://www.punditravi.com/belief.htm

it is a symbolic way of saying - voluntarily - that she has surrendered fully to her husband provided the husband stays within dharma, and treats her per dharma.

xian culture alwasy incites competition between husband and wife. not in hinduism - vedic culture. hindu family shares responsibilites, and does not compete within, but coopertes.

Guest guest

Maadhav,

Don't get me wrong but is it xian culture you talk about or just western culture that has evolved recently which incites competition? Doesn't the Bible talk about how man and woman complement each other and how they depend on each other in happiness and sorrow, health and disesase, and youth and age. Aren't their vows similar to the vedic saptapadi too? Just a question!

As I know, this custom was brought by muslims. At the epics' age it's inexistent.

I guess Indian women pierce their nose because it creates an aesthetic appeal. It highlights the nose which is positioned in the central part of the face, and resolves a balance to the face structure.

-------------

Personally I don't think it to be aesthetic.

it is a symbolic way of saying - voluntarily - that she has surrendered fully to her husband provided the husband stays within dharma, and treats her per dharma.

-------------

If that's true, it's discriminative even for a man looking down on women.

<< it is a symbolic way of saying - voluntarily - that she has surrendered fully to her husband provided the husband stays within dharma, and treats her per dharma.

-------------

If that's true, it's discriminative even for a man looking down on women. >>

you can think any way you want (it does not matter), but a hindu womean does not think it that way, and is not forced to do it. she just prefers it. unity and harmoney builds on some agreements and understanding. we do not mind if you and your wife have different agreement or no agreement.

we have our ways and traditions, and we like them.

we do not worry how others think about them.

all have freedom to think/form an opinions.

did you ever ask why some in the west pierce nipples and navals and tongues? we do not have such curiosities.

Guest guest

(you can think any way you want (it does not matter), but a hindu womean does not think it that way, and is not forced to do it. she just prefers it. unity and harmoney builds on some agreements and understanding. we do not mind if you and your wife have different agreement or no agreement.

all have freedom to think/form an opinions.

did you ever ask why some in the west pierce nipples and navals and tongues? we do not have such curiosities.

you can think any way you want (it does not matter), but a hindu womean does not think it that way, and is not forced to do it. she just prefers it. unity and harmoney builds on some agreements and understanding. we do not mind if you and your wife have different agreement or no agreement.

all have freedom to think/form an opinions.)

This person Maadhav is very kind to teach us of Hindu culture. I for one very much appreciate them and this information. She/He is right, we are all free, you sound like you want make some political statement at Maadhav's expense and we are speaking of NOSE RINGS! Why are you in this chat if you are hostile to Hindus/other cultures etc.?

Bored with nothing else to do? Make some friends and leave this person alone. Please figure out a way to make your own happiness. This person is happy - bother you?

You are too sensitive - look in the mirror kid.

dear rraajj bhai,

thanks for the understanding and support.

when about 20-30% of the hindus of the world

think unity of the hindus,

and understand common global hindu interests,

and feel a concern whe any other hindu is not treated right or hinduism not represented right,

and speak up and or take some action,

then we hindus would achieve our dharma and rashtra goals.

any hindu who has attitudes like:

apan ko kyaa?

apan kya kar saktaa hai?

chaltaa hai, hota hai.

should give them up soon.

you showed unity.

aawaaz do, aawaaz do,

aawaaz do, ham ek hai.n

tanks again.

Guest guest

Re: Your'e too sensitive xxvvii ??? [re: rraajj]

04/22/04 11:08 PM Edit Reply

dear rraajj bhai,

thanks for the understanding and support.

No problem.

I am afraid that I have sent a message that I am Hindu, I am not, I am an American religion and metaphysics teacher, but I have been a student of Yogi, Hindu, and other eastern philosophies for over ten years and I was curious about nose rings because I felt lead to get one and my husband loves them. I did a search on the meaning of nose rings and popped up in your chat.

You answered my question wonderfully. It made much sense to me from my studies and observations. It also fits my situation. I am a devoted wife and mother. My husband does not look down on me; he respects me and even puts me in charge. We both love the Hindu female deities and like goddess religions. Hinduism is not anti Female that I am aware of.

I could not understand why this person went looking for a fight with you, even inciting one. Maybe she knows nothing about Hinduism or is having a very bad day?

No harm no foul if she is a natural 'warrior goddess' type of a woman and has not 'learned' how to handle that level of power; but the answer is not to go looking for a 'fight' everywhere you go, save your energy for the 'worthy' battles.

I have a 5-letter word for her - Study.

Another thing that I would like to tell this person about Hinduism is to check out the Female deities Shakti and Durga they are amazing. They are the Goddesses of Love and War.

Anger is not the answer and War is rarely the answer.

(and feel a concern whe any other hindu is not treated right or hinduism not represented right,

and speak up and or take some action,)

You are very welcome, anytime.

I love Hindus and all people and will speak up and take action when I see this sort of petty antagonistic behavior coming from anyone. Whomever Deity puts in my way. I only choose to get involved though when it is beginning to turn ugly because I must conserve my energy as well.

Life can be very difficult and when we are having a bad day, lose a job or a loved one passes it can seem as if the whole world is our enemy and we tend to strike out at the first person who comes along. We can be better though, all of us can.

I do not participate in many chats because it is so easy to misunderstand the true meanings of what people are saying; then add to the mix different cultures (and the ‘gender’ thing is so touchy anyway). Needless to say it is so easy for individuals to get irritated at one another – this is called ‘transference’ and or ‘projection’ and is as common a condition as having eyes.

If we are strong and confident men and women then it does not matter what others say, do or think of us because we know that we are o.k. Even if we become afraid when others do not agree with us we can choose to believe in our own value. The NEED to defend our own honor or the honor of our culture, gender etc becomes mute at that point.

Count the cost when you pick a fight, you could be starting another war.

If you do not agree see the ‘House of Sand and Fog’ with Ben Kinsley and Jennifer Connelly. It is a heartbreaking tale of people who want to ‘pick a fight’. It is devastating and most difficult to watch.

I pray we all gain the wisdom not to go there – ever.

To be a God/Goddess or a Devil that is the choice being given to us all. It can be just as easy to be kind and appreciate our teachers like this generous person maadhav has taught us about nose rings and the love between a man and his ‘partner’ who happens to be a woman. Fall in love for real and then you will understand this lesson.

A simple lesson can change a life.

Again Maadhav, thank you much and Bhai to you,

Rraajj

By the way, I don’t understand Sanskrit, sorry.

You have a blessed day and a blessed life.

Guest guest

Maadhav, I think, thinks you are a male becuase your ID is rraajj, which is a male name in india.

So he also thinks you are an Indian.

If someone calles bhai, in India, its a sign of respect and affection.

Ji, when suffixed shows respect, like maadhavJI is a sign of respect. JI can be added to both male and female names.

Guest guest

where does the custom of dowry and burning women who do not satisfy the husband's family come from ?

Guest guest

There you go, username given. My comment was not intended to be mean. I am just asking myself the following:

OK, I am very much attracted by the Hindu philosophy (Sanatana Dharma); when I read about it, I think it makes perfect sense, it has beauty and softness in it, it is all emcompassing and non violent etc. And, so far, I have not read anything awful about the woman gender (is there ?)- a big change as all other religions depict women as a curse. So far so good.

Then,

I watch programs on India on tv, read articles, travel in India. And suddenly, the shock !

Ladies in India - and I am not talking about the bimbos and the priviledged who go on shopping sprees around the world but the vast majority of Indian ladies - are treated badly, are recognized as slaves to their families/step families, are burnt to death if money is not enough, dowry is poor, children are not good enough or the stew is too salty, are married at a very tender age, are the only human beings in the fields working from morning to night, are raped, etc., etc.

Then I suddenly do not understand why after 5000 years of Hindu principles and worshipping, the only thing that remains is: a huge number of human beings making more and more babies, killing them if they are not sons, treating one another as badly as any other people from any other origin and religion in the world, being arrogant as soon as they get a little better than the others, and not showing any love and compassion for their fellow men. AND, I am NOT attacking Indians in India; I am just stating that they are like everybody else in the world, so where is the effect of Sanatana Dharma in their lives ?

Again, this post is not supposed to be offensive. It is supposed to allow reactions that may allow me to revise my present understanding and help me believe in what is preached and written and said.

Can we still have some hope for humanity ? It seems not; we are basically quite rotten. All of us.

thanks lila,

for picking a user name and describing your basic interest.

<< Can we still have some hope for humanity ? It seems not; we are basically quite rotten. All of us. >>

no. vice and virtue is on one's momopoly.

the problems you described are nothing but malpractice of dharma (hinduism).

you kept an eye for them and you saw them.

there are others who live by dharma and do not have that problems. that does not come to your mind or to news.

also, remember that for 1000 years islam has done havoc to the hindus in india. for 1000 years they tried to completely eliminate hinduism from the face of the earth.

teh hindus slaughtered over this time is a fe order larger than 6 million jews killed by hitler. terrorism is not new to the hindus. the harsh realities under islam has caused some malpractice to some extent. the tradition of sati is not practiced any more, but it was a resposne to the muslim predators on hindu widows.

after islam came the british.

initially ther were just as violent as teh muslims

read the history of goa. what xians did to the hindus.

then after they became more smart. they created an education system in india that practically made hindus forget their own history and culture, and it made hindus hat hinduism. it created englishmen in the body of the hindus.

despite all this, hinduism has survived

even when it is not organized.

now there is a need to organise to respond to islam and xianity in india. if you are a xian or have influence on xians, please tell them to not support any missionaries in india.

so, looking at the long and brutal treatment to the hindus,

the right thing for you could be to look how hinduism survived, and see those families who lived by hindiusm and see the result. they are silent. they will not come on news. if you look for gutters, you will find gutters.

and it would not be fair to defame hinduism. hinduism is in bhagavad gita and with the hindu preqchers ahd the serious followers of hinduism. Hare krishna are hindus, in my view, and there a milliosn all over the world, in all colors and nationalities. they practice bhakti yoga very well. find case of a dowary or sati in them. tell here what you find.

hindus need work within or without.

are you just a reporter or a missionary?

we need missionaries - hindus missionaries.

be a good hindu first, and then work to stop the malpractice of hinduism.

any effort by a non hindu to stop malpractice is also welcome, but any effort to convert will not be tolerated.

we do not convert, so we do not like to be converted.

yes, there is hope.

humanist is an atheist generally, still hindus do not ahve any heartburn about him/her. i suggest you erad gita and understnad hinduism well. then encourage hindus to lie by gita, and if htey do, then you willnot see the problems you described. you also will find that gita gives a universal dharma. gita is not a private property of any one nation or person. it is for all. however, it is the hindus who have kept that konwledge well understood for the new generations of the world.

hope it helps.

those who look for gutters have different intentions (good or bad). it feel that your intention is good and respectable. so i have responded in length.

Guest guest

Hello Maadhav,

I read your post with great interest and concluded that, indeed, your comments do make sense and clarified points that I misinterpreted because of sheer ignorance. Thank you for the time you took in answering me.

I do not feel I could ever become a missionary of any kind, though; and that shows I am not much of a good soul. However, as I mentioned previously, I am really interested in and attracted to Dharma. &#8220;Originally&#8221; non-hindu and a Westerner, I feel that I do not have much of a right to talk about a philosophy/religion I was not brought up into and which so many Westerners like me have used and abused over the last 40 years &#8211; hippies, the drugs, etc &#8211; and still abuse today &#8211; e.g., we learn that Demi Moore&#8217;s new boyfriend has calculated with the help of a guru that he must be more than 2&#8217;000 years old (reincarnation) and hence is much older that his wife-to-be (sic !).

Between genuine interest which calls for gaining more knowledge into Dharma and a sense of &#8220;how not to go wild and stupid like my fellow Westerners&#8221;, there is a fine line I do not wish to cross. So what is the best way to go along with this &#8220;attraction&#8221; and act upon it with all the necessary respect?

From my part, I would never try to convert anybody to anything; and I do not understand those who do. Hindus and Jews adopt the best attitude in this regard; not for the same reasons though.

Now come other questions: what does it mean &#8220;to be a good hindu&#8221; ?

Can someone so foreign from Eastern philosophy be able to grasp a bit of what it all means ? Westerners and Easterners (sorry for the superficial groupings used for the sake of discussion) have such parallel &#8211; i.e., never touching/meeting &#8211; views on life, attitude, behaviors etc.; can a Westerner ever be able to touch upon what is really said in the Gita ? Can he/she ever be able to understand what being a Hindu is all about ?

What do &#8220;real&#8221; Indian Hindus think of all these Western people from everywhere congregating in Indian ashrams, doing yoga, following a Swami, they call &#8220;Swamiji&#8221; ? Is this a masquerade of the true religion? Are we just playing around with this &#8220;save me-myself and I&#8221; attitude which seems to be the contrary to what Dharma is teaching, fooling ourselves oblivious to the fact that the true religion is else ?

I really would need to know what is the right attitude.

Your help, if the above deserves an answer, would be most welcomed.

Guest guest

Here are some facts:

1. Daughter in law is supposed to be goddess laksmi herself.

2. A family is not complete without a daughter in law.

3. It is believed that the tears of the daughter in law destroys the whole family.

4. So the family makes sure that the daughter in law is well taken care off.

This is what I have seen from my personal experience, and is also in the smrithis.

Of india's one billion population, there might be one or two cases that are outliers.

The media does project only the outliers to make news and money out of it.

There are some business communities, that see money in everything ( not new to the west).

<< I read your post with great interest and concluded that, indeed, your comments do make sense and clarified points that I misinterpreted because of sheer ignorance. Thank you for the time you took in answering me. >>

you welcome.

i have time for all the friendly souls who are eager to learn.

<< I do not feel I could ever become a missionary of any kind, though; and that shows I am not much of a good soul. >>

not really. if/whe you get burning desire to make some live by dharma, then krishna could make you a swmini or even a social worker.

<< I am really interested in and attracted to Dharma. >>

good. this is the first step. serious interest.

<< &#8220;Originally&#8221; >>

your post has numbers like this many times.

i do not know what these mean. do you put them intentionally?

<< I feel that I do not have much of a right to talk about a philosophy/religion I was not brought up into >>

that is very fair attitude.

but any one can learn new things. so can you.

<< and which so many Westerners like me have used and abused over the last 40 years &#8211; hippies, the drugs, etc &#8211; and still abuse today &#8211; >>

there alwasy be some abusers. that is how this world is.

we need to see what benefit the users derive.

<< Between genuine interest which calls for gaining more knowledge into Dharma and a sense of &#8220;how not to go wild and stupid like my fellow Westerners&#8221;, there is a fine line I do not wish to cross. So what is the best way to go along with this &#8220;attraction&#8221; and act upon it with all the necessary respect? >>

first keep in mind that your purpose of learning what dharma is, is for your spiritual benefit, and it is not to brag about or impress others. then get a copy of bhagavad gita and read it seriously. the speaker of gita is god Himdelf- krishna. keep that faith while you read it, else it will not benefit you any bit. in gita krishna describes a few yogas, you need to do soul serchigna d figure which yoga is best for you.

bhakti yoga is for lovers - men of heart

karma yoga is for doers with a lot of energy.

gyan yoga is for those who have very sharp brain power.

dhayn yoga os for those who like to control the wandring mind.

sow which one is best for you?

once you could figure it, try to study it deeply from gita.

krishna recomemds bhakti yoga for most, perticularly in this millenium of kali.

then visit hindu or Hk temples near you regularly.

listen discoruces given there. know/meet sadhsu/swamis/ goswamis/ sanyasis. approach humbly and inquire with folded hands. do is sincerely, not like an act. this is the right way to learn dharma. whatever you learn, practice it gradually, more and more. the associans you make at teh temples will guide you more. Once you realize krishna is god and you love gita and strive to live by it or practice a yoga given by krishna, then all the hindus will accept you as a hindu. while stydying/learning about dharma, do not eat beef. to eat cow is the greatest sin for a hindu. krishna lived as a cowboy when he came on this earth 5000 years ago. if you are not a vegetarian, try to be.

<< From my part, I would never try to convert anybody to anything; >>

great! that is hindu spirit.

<< and I do not understand those who do. >>

because their book says so, and they are orgnized to do it.

<< what does it mean &#8220;to be a good hindu&#8221; ? >>

one who lives by gita. for a hindu, indian subcontinent is holy land - the land of the devas (gods). it hs many holy places. cow is protected, never killed. rivers ganga yamuna, etc. are holy, every living being has a soul within it, and a soul is eternal. god is supersoul - krishna. other gods (devas/devis) serve god. a hindu wants to see god face to face, he wants to live with god, play with him, serve him, etc. he/she also loves godly people/ saints/swamis.

<< Can someone so foreign from Eastern (you mean Western) philosophy be able to grasp a bit of what it all means ? >>

yes, definitely.

even the hippies have learned a lot, even better than many hindus of india.

<< can a Westerner ever be able to touch upon what is really said in the Gita ? >>

yes, when there is respect for gita and dharma.

<< Can he/she ever be able to understand what being a Hindu is all about ? >>

sure.

<< What do &#8220;real&#8221; Indian Hindus think of all these Western people from everywhere congregating in Indian ashrams, doing yoga, following a Swami, they call &#8220;Swamiji&#8221; ? >>

they feel good that they have something that helps others.

besides, dharma is for all the mankind.

<< Is this a masquerade of the true religion? Are we just playing around with this &#8220;save me-myself and I&#8221; attitude which seems to be the contrary to what Dharma is teaching, fooling ourselves oblivious to the fact that the true religion is else ? >>

the above is very general and so specific response is not possible. we need to see case by case. in the west they take something from hindism or the vedic culture, and strip it off from the source totally, then use it, and do not give any credit to the source culture. that is viewed by the hindus as unfair/unfriendly attitude/practice.

<< I really would need to know what is the right attitude.

Your help, if the above deserves an answer, would be most welcomed. >>

i already described the attitude above.

i wish you happy journey, lila.

am curious to know about your education and lifestyle.

but ok if you could not tell.

This person Maadhav is very kind to teach us of Hindu culture. I for one very much appreciate them and this information. She/He is right, we are all free, you sound like you want make some political statement at Maadhav's expense and we are speaking of NOSE RINGS! Why are you in this chat if you are hostile to Hindus/other cultures etc.?

Bored with nothing else to do? Make some friends and leave this person alone. Please figure out a way to make your own happiness. This person is happy - bother you?

You are too sensitive - look in the mirror kid.

You should admit the following facts: I'm not an Indian. And you're Indians, more accurately, modern Indians. If I'm hostile & too sensitive, I couldn't say "personally". Similarly, your words show your sensitivity.

I heard that many Indian actors & actresses want to be politicians & some of them have even been the initiators of some political parties. Apparently they're influential as they're the focuses of the public, whereas they're the people going along the dif. way from that of politicians. Do they have uncertain influence on the political situation? Have they get across the distance between? Any info.?