IndiaDivine.org
Guest guest

marijuana in hinduism

Rate this topic

I think it is stupid to deny that substances like marijuana and hallucinogenic plants can do anything good spiritually. They are surely powerfull for realizing this world is illusion.

Yes plant use is attacthment to material world, you will keep attached as long as you use it to receive connection to god. you will not reach enlightenment, but what is the problem in using them without attachtment?.

The addiction to marijuana is purely psychological not physic. So a saddhu with no attachtment to anything and control over his mind has no problem using it and can use it as a tool.

So if a saddhu is addicted to marijuana he is not a real saddhu, but it dont mean that some saddhus are not real eventhough they use marijuana.

And fact is there IS a connection between (psychedelic) plants and santhana dharma, the soma plant is described in the rig-veda hundres of times for its great spiritual qualities! The great sages of the rig-veda did use the soma "intoxication" (bad word, because soma was healing not toxic) in worship and to communicate with the gods etc.

So it is wrong to say that "drugs" cant have any spiritual value it is wrong because the soma plant surely did.

Im not promoting anything it is best for most poeple to keep away from marijuana when trying to live in a strict spiritual way, because if you have a weak psyche you will get attached to it.

For those who say nothing material can lead to spiritual growth then all those who make japa should put down their beads, all that worship murthis should get rid of their idols, all people who meditate will no longer have a place to sit, no more aarti lamps, no more any instrument of worship, and just abandon the body while you are at it too since it's material and "not real". Those who claim that all is an illusion is entering into a self-contradiction. If all things material are not "real" then there is no way to even have the conversation on what reality is or not. And to say that anything material is somehow less than some supposed lofty state of transcendence negates life and existence in and of itself as though it is not as worthy as some place fathomed by the human mind, that if it even exists, is only known by most because they read about it or heard it somewhere.

Patriarchal hegemonies and most male-dominated political and religious power structures have systematically and repeatedly stamped out, destroyed, assimilated, converted, and demonized tribal and clan based styles of living and that were often matriarchal, focused on female divinities and mother goddesses, and valued the Earth as a source of life, seeing all existence as a beautiful cyclic blissful place and respected the fertility and the cycle of life. These cultures often used many substances provided by the Earth to connect with their deities, to solve conflicts, to recognize a coming of age, to commune with gods and more. Male dominated societies with male-dominated religions that had male gods as a monotheistic supreme being have introduced a body hating, earth hating, woman hating, intoxicant barring, and existence denying social state that has made all the conditions favorable for rampant decline in mental stability, destruction of the Earth, oppression, violence, dissent, and every social ill imaginable.

The body and the Earth may have much more to reveal than can even be dreamed. To deny the body and the earth and call them materialistic and less than is to deny life itself.

Guest guest

The blessings come from a plant, no drugs, just like tomatoes. And yes, I come from a lineage and tradition of unified awareness, with or without drinking from a marijuana boat. It is definitely a religious practice, and at the God head, there is no religion, but at the Earth level, which we love and adore, we are happy to have ganja, growing green good God of magical happiness to abide by and have make us our ride so beautiful. HAHA, but really, this is of poetry our life, hopefully we can enjoy what is natural, world wide. Namaste'

I am Indian and Nepali and have always been drawn to the blessing that is marijuana. As a child, I was told drugs were bad and poisons. In reality, ganja and charas have long been intrinsically linked with Hinduism. My grandparents drank bhang on Shivratri, and Indian sadhus and the working classes regularly use ganja. The government of India even has stores that sell ganja and bhang in selected locations in India, and a week's worth of ganja costs virtually nothing anywhere in India.

Ganja is to be respected as it is powerful and can be detrimental if used to excess, but it can definitely be used as a spiritual tool if looked at in that way (and not as an intoxicant, as many of today's young people look at it, particularly in the US where I have spent much of my life). It should not be used for wild parties, but for introspection, meditation and deep thought, and it should be used in this manner sparingly. Those who use ganja know it will not make you act stupid like alcohol will, but those who have used it to excess will know it is powerful and can make one extremely uncomfortable. Treated with respect, it is a beautiful thing and can truly help one grow.

in all that is made from GOD and brings life and takes it.(could mean eat or destroy) Words and meanings are not feeling, but feeling is life. Who is to say who made it, for who to take it if fear is there feeling aways, so how can one judge what GOD made. Those that judge over nature do not really believe in GOD but, search for there right.

GOD took it, or it wouldn't be there. Logic turns to abstract in a mind of fear and misunderstanding of life from life through GOD.

OM, Aum.....54 BONG JAH SHIVA ROOR!

OM NAMAH SHIVAY-BOM SHIVA BOLENATH-OM SHIVA

Peace to all that can sit in, on and around nature. Without harming others like killing to eat meat. But, they turned it so you can't kill and plant and eat it,

Now who made GOD?

Hello,

I have had experience with marijuana and meditation with some religious and philosophical experiences. However I have also had experiences where it stimulated the kundalini release and an increase in heartrate to the point at which I felt very anxious. Some sort of kundalini opening has been a common feature of my exploration with this substance and this doesnt always mean a corresponding peace of mind, needed for tranquil meditation. There have been a few times where I felt I would die, leave the body, because the energy was so intense and the body felt under great duress trying to process the intoxicant. This happened mostly when eaten in larger amounts. Beware seekers with sensitive systems!

Also I have found that even though it can have the effect of dispassion to the senses for a while it can also have the opposite effect, especially with food and sex, even for those who are strong in will.

Namaste

Soma has been identified as a stimulant that resembles coffee, but more stimulating. So drinking soma kept you awake and alert to compose than to sing slokas. Basically the Riga Veda describes a plant found in northern Asia - eastern Europe and is identified as soma. It is believed it is part of the society of the pre Aryan invasion of India, where migrating people worshiping fire and Shiva met farming people worshiping fertility and the cow.

Oh my God=) Please help me to explain this thing to my fellow travelers! ALL material is made of spirit, it is just dense and slow form of energy. It is the frequency that matters! And you can change frequency by thinking differently;) If you sacrifice food to God, it becomes spiritual, and same applies everything else too. When you sacrifice something material to God, it becomes spiritual. If you do something to yourself instead of offering it to God, it is a material act. For example if you pray,and ask something for yourself instead of asking what you can do for God, your pray becomes material act! If you smoke MJ as sacrament, it can indeed help you on your way to GODhead, as a matter of fact, Holy Cannabis generates alpha brainwaves, and that is the FIRST step in spiritual life, you can get alpha brainwaves by meditating, breathing deeply, brain entrainment etc.

BTW. you can't kill plant by cutting it, if you take any living part of a plant, it has the potential to make new plant! You can free plant spirit by burning the material, and ask help from the Spirit by doing so;)

-Mauri-

This really depends on the version of Shaivism you're talking about. It may be true in some sects or geographic locations, but to say it is widespread through all of Saivism is an error. I've been to a lot of temples and never ever have I smelled it.

Take it this way:

If I see an island off in the distance, I may be able to use a telescope to get a better view of the island. However, using the telescope won't get me any closer to the island. To get there, a boat is necessary.

Similarily, there MAY BE a possibility (in certain individuals) to get a type of spiritual experience out of marijuana. However, that doesn't mean it will get you any closer to liberation. You will simply be using the telescope.

Regards,

Benjamin

I agree....Very true.....

Hi.I am mayank & I totally agree with with you and i realize that you have postd this in 2004..haa ha ha...however i still agreee in 2012 and the things which you have said above are true but it takes some time,experience & research to conlude at a saying.I really think the same .

it took me 8 years to realize the real meaning of marijuana and I can proudly say that i amnot a addict though i use it from time to time ....

Guest Guest

I think it is stupid to deny that substances like marijuana and hallucinogenic plants can do anything good spiritually. They are surely powerfull for realizing this world is illusion.

I think these are wise words, and I agree.

I know almost nothing about Hinduism, and the 'almost' isnt really worth mentioning.

I agree with Soma Juice's words here.

I have used many different substances. Not to find God, or find some magical cure, nor to escape. I used them out of curiosity. Not all the feelings and times were good, or bad.

The one thing that stands out to me is that all of these substances/effects show you how reality is certainly not what we perceive with our senses. Colors, sounds, tastes, tactile sense all seems to be not accurate. It is strange to think hard about colors not being real. Maybe think of the true extent of detail in the things we see. We only see things as a sum, or abbreviation of what they are (made of). Take quantum mechanics for example. The sum of something's parts (atoms, electrons, quarks, gluons and so on) are more real, then what makes them. The parts that make up the physical world appear to only exist when perceived. Im not sure if we even understand what the effects of our perception are.

There are a few things that have played an important role in my spirituality.

Being aware of the concept of infinity, or anything that has no end. This appears many times (in nature or life), in almost everything. Things seem to all come to a point where infinity plays a role. It seems to me things exist with order, and chaos, simultaneously.

To me, a street with trash is messy, and seems disorderly. At the same time, leaves on the forest ground have no real order, yet it seems acceptable, and correct, rather then out of place, and messy.

Also, it seems the thing with ourselfs, that has no definite explanation, is how we are here? How are we able to perceive these things? Where is this feeling of being an individual being come? or simply what is it? What if you had no capacity for memory, and were stuck only existing in the moment(s). This means no words, or references for things to make some sort of 'sense'. Clearly, no judgement or society, or sense of beginning or end would exist.

Where is this place where we exist, that is separate from reality? We all are here and feel it, but it seems there are no words to describe the answer.

All these things that tie us to the physical world consume us to the point were letting go of that is difficult, or close to impossible.

My expierences with substances, and different states, even without substances have shown me that, no matter how intoxicated you are, the truth still remains there staring at you in the face. The truth and nature of things exists regardless. Mabe colors, or sounds, tastes, or your thought process changes, but the one thing that remains is your awareness.

In my mind it is like an equasion. All this things cancel each other out, and leave you with the answer. Im not sure what that answer is.

It seems that the answers all reside in ourselfs. I believe it takes great strength to not judge anything at all. Nothing is totally good, or bad, or anything else. It simply is what it is, or mabe its nothing at all. Really, anything can be anything you want if you believe it.

Its my opinion, that most people are driven (in life) out of curiosity, or love for ones self and well-being, or others. Im sure we all feel emptyness in some way. I think it is important to take notice of how people fill this emptiness. Also, is emptiness good or bad? Im not sure you can judge it that way and find an answer. Im sure most things are not what they seem, and have no words to describe them.

Few times in my life, I was able to let go of everything. Society, feelings, opinions, desires, urges all gone. And as soon as i realized where I 'was', I was excited. As soon as I judged it with excitement, it was gone.

I think that substances can help you achieve a state of meditation. On the same note, the lack of substance can lead you to the same place. If it is in your mind to get there, I think you will.

Hopefully, no one is disturbed much by talking about death, at least not in this context. I think death is interesting in some ways. When you die, its clear to all of us that the information our body provides us is no longer there. I think that we are then forced to let things of this world go. Does our awareness go away? or do we just lack the ability to store memory, and perceive things in a timeline, or lack the ability to think in a structured way?

As i said before about infinity popping up in things, it lead me to important question. Were we dead before we were born? Where were we? or what were we? assuming that we came from a place that was not a body in the universe, like now. Of-course we cant remember, we didnt have a brain to store memory.

Personally, I dont think there is much difference in using a substance compared to an action (or lack of) that makes your body produce chemicals, thus changing your perception in some sort of way. Some people shop, race cars, jump off buildings, climb mountians, fish, sit quietly, code (programming), have sex or masterbate, watch tv, listen to music, eat, walk or travel somehow, play games, sports, build things, paint/draw, .. etc etc. All this to occupy your mind, and distract you from that feeling of having to have some sort of satisfaction.

If you really want to find answers to things that only come from inside, or from god, it takes devotion. Is it difficult for you to be alone? Can you be with just yourself for a long time? If you went away, away from things and people and society, and just were with yourself, for months or maybe years, im sure you will find some answers to questions that cant be asked with words, or answered with them either. Letting go of judging things, in any possible way is difficult, however.. it is closer to the true nature of things. Its not practical to be totally devoted to this sort of thing, if you want to be part of society. Depending on how important it is to you, you will choose your path. It would be judgemental to say it is a burdon to live a life like this, but we do what is important to us, and we do what we want.

As far as addiction, I beleive it is real indeed. However, like all things, it is a choice. We all do things that are potentially bad, or just uncomfortable. It depends on how important it is. Working hard can hurt you, but isnt judged as bad (because you are usually providing food, or other sustenance). Using drugs is also harmful, but is usually judged as bad because of health reasons, and the ability for you to take and hurt others and act in a selfish way to sustain your using. Just as both hurt, and can be scary and possibly lead to death, or close to it.. getting off of drugs that you are addicted to hurts also. It all depends on your motivation, and you will do what you want. You can never force someone to get off of nasty drugs, or shopping habit, or whatever the addiction is. I think it is important to be there for someone (if you care about them) if they are battling addiction. Most people are not strong enought, and need someone or something to keep them grounded and on the right path.

I hope this makes sense, and doesnt seem to be a bunch of ranting offtopic.

I would like to hear what anyone has to say, related to my words or not.

Best Regards

-Kcrimlen

i agree with madhaav... please do not pollute sanatana dharma saying that it promotes drugs..

absolutely idiotic that the experience of the drug is addictive. Addictions are different .. . some kind of addictions. If you can't control yourself you will be addictive by you in many things that even not related to drugs. This is rule so that true. Not an opinion.

Guest Oonglabots Dancing

I use to get high and meditate.

I did it all the time.

Once i didn't get high, but meditated anyways.

It was the best meditation i had up to that point.

After that i stopped using drugs.

So now i don't need drugs to get high, or transend the noise of my mind.

While i don't recommend drug use, if you're going to do it anyways, then atleast use it as a way to God. Then God will show you you don't need to get high, or to get rich, or to get famous. All you need is God, which is within you and is the true nature of your soul.

God bless you on your journey.

i would say that using pot can be enjoyable, but i would not personally testify that it in any way helps meditate for me. Quite the opposite, though i can focus on certain things like music (in a professional manner, though i don't need it and rarely play or compose high) if i wanted to quiet the mind, i would use cannabis only if i had gone totally insane. hahaha yeah it's that unhelpful in meditation for me!

Guest Guest

but i dont look at marijuana as a drug tho. its a natural herb that was used since ancient times. and i use it to help me meditate and get my mind in the right stateof mind. i dont think it has any bad effects that make my mind wander or anything. i really think about religion when i use it and also, i think philosophically. anyone else have any similar experiences??

yes, i actually do experience these psychological wonderings while smoking weed. I wanted to share this for so long now but I felt like people would think I was going insane..

I am familiar with the wondering of the spiritual eye. I meditate on a daily basis to reach the pineal gland's peak. It does feel great, I recommend it to anyone. I feel like im caught up in some pink cloud experience. I feel like im floating above you all, spreading and throwing love down from the spiritual heavens that can only be released to the human mind if you focus hard enough.